What to do if you got Your Windows license will expire soon message even though Windows 10 is activated
If you suddenly get a message telling you that “Your Windows license will expire soon, You need to activate Windows in Settings” on your Windows 10 computer but you know that your Windows 10 is already activated. Worry not for this post will help you get rid of that error message right away. Before you get started, make sure that you have the Windows product key with you. If you don’t, you can get it by running the following command in an elevated Command Prompt:
wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
Take note of the product key and then proceed to the options given below.
Option 1 – Try activating Windows 10 again or use another product key
- If you’re sure that you have the correct product key, click the Go to the Settings button.
- After that, click the Activate button once again.
- If you have another license key, you can also use that as well, just simply click on the Change product key.
- Then enter the new product key and click on Activate. That should fix the problem, if it doesn’t, refer to the next option below.
Option 2 – Try to reset the licensing status
- Click the Start button and then type “cmd” in the Search box and then tap Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Next, type the “slmgr –rearm” and hit Enter to reset the licensing status.
- Restart your computer and check if the error is now gone or not.
Option 3 – Try uninstalling the product key and re-enter it once more.
- The first thing you have to do to uninstall the product key is to know the Activation ID of your Windows installation. To do so, open an elevated Command Prompt and type this command, and hit Enter – vbs /dlv
- After you enter the command, you should see the licensing status and Activation ID. And to get all the Activation IDs of all the installed Windows versions, key in this command and hit Enter – vbs /dlv all
Note: The “/dlv” parameter will give you the license information for the installed operating system.
- After you enter the second command, you should see a Windows Script Host window with all the Windows licensing and activation status. Take note of the Activation ID.
- Next, in the same elevated Command Prompt, type this command – slmgr /upk <Activation ID>
Note: In the third given command, “/upk” stands for “uninstall product key”. This parameter uninstalls the product key of the current Windows edition.
- Restart your PC. After that, your computer will be in an unlicensed state so you need to re-enter the product key again.
Option 4 – Try rebuilding the Tokens.dat file.
The issue might be caused by a corrupted Tokens.dat file. The Tokens.dat file is a digitally signed file that stores most of the Windows Activation files so if it is corrupted then no wonder you’re having activation issues. To rebuild the Tokens.dat file, refer to these steps:
- From the WinX Menu, open an elevated Command Prompt.
- After opening Command Prompt, you need to type each one of the following commands and after you type each command, hit Enter.
- net stop sppsvc
- cd %windir%ServiceProfilesLocalServiceAppDataLocalMicrosoftWSLicense
- ren tokens.dat tokens.bar
- net start sppsvc
- exe %windir%system32slmgr.vbs /rilc
- Now restart your computer.
Option 5 – Try running the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter
- Go to Settings and then select Activation.
- After that, click on the Windows Activation and then troubleshoot. This will help you address most of the commonly found activation issues in Windows devices.
Option 6 – Try activating Windows 10 via mobile phone
Activating Windows 10 can also be done using your phone. Just note that you have to call Microsoft to do so.
- In the Start Search box, type in “Slui 4” and tap Enter.
- Next, select your country and click on Next.
- Keep the window open and call the toll-free number of the country you’re from.
- Afterward, a confirmation ID should be given by the automated system which you must take a note of.
- Finally, in the box on the window, type in the confirmation ID and click on the Activate button. That should do it.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Windows license will expire soon error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Windows license will expire soon error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.