What to do if you can’t download anything on your Windows 10 PC
Recently, a number of users reported that they weren’t able to download anything from the internet after they’ve updated their Windows 10 computers. This kind of problem occurs because of some Internet options settings located in the Control Panel. Based on the reports, this issue has been known to occur in all kinds of browsers and not only on Microsoft Edge.
Not being able to download anything from the internet is a huge problem since almost everything is wrapped around the internet. To resolve this problem, here are some suggestions that you can try.
Option 1 – Temporarily disable Firewall and third-party antivirus
Firewall and antivirus programs are known to block files the instant it detects a threat to the system. However, there are some cases when it can also block a file even when it’s a safe one. Thus, your antivirus or firewall programs might be the reason why you can’t download anything on your Windows 10 computer. To isolate the issue, you need to temporarily disable both the Firewall and antivirus programs and then check if you can now download anything from the internet. Do not forget to enable them again as disabling them can leave your computer vulnerable to cyber threats.
Option 2 – Try changing the Internet Options settings
According to users, changing the Internet Options settings helped them resolve the problem. There are times when the drive location in your Internet Options settings is not the system drive, chances are, it will cause the error to pop up which is why you need to make sure that it’s correct.
- Go to Control Panel and search for Internet Options and open it.
- Next, go to the General tab and click on Settings.
- From there, check if the drive location is “C:”. If it is, close the window, otherwise, click on the “Move folder…” option, and then select your preferred folder under drive C: and click OK.
- Now restart your computer and check if changing the Internet Options settings helped in fixing the problem.
Option 3 – Try clearing browser data
There are instances when browser data can cause issues in downloading files online. And so you can try to clear your browser’s data. This might be a very basic solution but oftentimes it works in fixing this kind of error. Follow the steps below to clear the data in your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- After that, tap the Ctrl + H keys. Doing so will open a new panel that allows you to delete the browsing history and other data in your browser.
- Now select every checkbox that you see and click on the Clear browsing data button.
- Then restart your Chrome browser and check if you can now open any website or not.
Option 4 – Get rid of any conflicting browser extensions
- Open Chrome and press Alt + F keys.
- Go to More tools and click Extensions to look for any suspicious browser extensions or toolbars.
- Click the Recycle bin and select Remove.
- Restart Chrome and press Alt + F keys again.
- Proceed to On Startup and mark Open a specific page or set of pages.
- To check if the browser hijacker is still active, click Set pages, if it is active, overwrite the URL.
Option 5 – Try to remove Proxy
Removing the Proxy might also help you in fixing the connection issue in Cortana. Here’s how you can do it:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “inetcpl.cpl” in the field and hit Enter to pull up the Internet Properties.
- After that, go to the Connections tab and select the LAN settings.
- From there. Uncheck the “Use a Proxy Server” option for your LAN and then make sure that the “Automatically detect settings” option is checked.
- Now click the OK and the Apply buttons.
- Restart your PC.
Note: If you are using a third-party proxy service, you have to disable it.
Option 6 – Try reinstalling your browser
If none of the options given above worked in fixing the problem, you can try to reinstall your browser. There are times when the browser wasn’t installed properly which can cause several issues like not being able to download anything from the web. Thus, reinstall your browser and see if that helps.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Can’t download anything on your Windows PC error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Can’t download anything on your Windows PC error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.