What to do if Windows Update cannot currently check for updates Windows 10
If you receive an error message saying, “Windows Update cannot currently check for updates because updates on this computer are controlled”, while trying to change the Windows Update preferences or manually update, then read on as this post will guide you in fixing it.
You can mostly encounter this error in managed systems where an Administrator controls the permission on the operating system. The reason why you are not able to modify the Windows Update preferences or manually update your system is that a group policy prevents you from doing so and that the only user who can do these things is none other than the administrator of the system.
Troubleshooting this kind of problem is the same as when you troubleshoot an error message that says, “Some settings are managed by your organization”. In such cases, you need to check both the Windows Update Group Policy and Registry settings.
If you’re just a standard user, you have to contact your system administrator regarding this issue and if you are the administrator, you can make adjustments to the system settings via the Registry Editor and the Group Policy Editor. Refer to the instructions given below for detailed instructions.
Option 1 – via the Registry Editor
If you are using the Home edition of Windows 10 and you want to change the policy for non-admin users on your local computer, then you can use the Registry Editor for that. Here’s how you can do it:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “Regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- After that, navigate to the following registry key:
- From there, look for the key named “WindowsUpdate” in the Windows folder and if it does not exist, you can just right-click on the Windows folder and select New > Key.
- Now name the new key “WindowsUpdate” and create a new sub-key under the newly created key and input “AU” as its name.
- Keep AU selected and then right-click anywhere in the right pane and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Then name the Value as “AUOptions” and right-click on AUOptions and select Modify.
- Next, change the value of the Value data to “5” and click OK to save the changes made to the settings. Note that the Value Data of 5 refers to the policy to allow the local admin to choose the setting.
- Now restart your computer once you’re done and check if non-admin users can now modify the Windows Update settings or update Windows.
Option 2 – via Group Policy Editor
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and then type “gpedit.msc” and hit Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Next, navigate to this folder: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update.
- Now look for the “Configure Automatic Updates” policy on the right pane and double click on it to open its Properties.
- After that, shift the Radio button to “Enabled” and from the drop-down menu for Configure automatic updating, select option 5: Allow local admin to choose the setting.
- Then click on Apply and OK to save the changes made to the settings.
- Restart your computer and check if the problem’s fixed or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Update cannot currently check for updates error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Update cannot currently check for updates error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.