What to do if Windows Search Start Menu not searching the entire PC
There are times when the Windows Search results do not include what you want to search. However, if you are trying to search for something that’s located on your desktop and Libraries, they would appear right away on the search results. Actually, the issue is not with the search but with the list of files and folders that Windows can index. If you encounter this issue, read on as this post will guide you on how to fix it.
The Windows 10 operating system, ever since Windows v1903 was released, offers two kinds of searches – the classic and the enhanced search. You may have to add more folders to the classic search or use the enhanced mode to resolve the issue. In other words, to fix the problem with the Start Menu Search, you can try to enable the Enhanced Mode or add folders to the Class Search or remove the excluded folders, as well as run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter. For more information, refer to each one of the options provided below.
Option 1 – Try to enable the Enhanced Mode
To fix the problem, you have to enable the Enhanced Mode search and configure the folders you want to be indexed. How? Follow these steps:
- First, you have to go to Settings > Search > Searching Windows.
- Next, select the radio button for the Enhanced option.
- After that, select the folders you want the Windows Indexer to exclude from the Enhanced Search mode.
Option 2 – Try to add folders to the Class Search
If you don’t want to enable the Enhanced search mode, then you might want to add folders that are important to you. All you have to do is configure the Search Indexing Options by following these steps:
- Go to Settings > Search > Classic and from there, click on the “Customize search locations” option.
- Next, click on Modify in the pop-up window that appears.
- Then add drives and folders that are important to you. Once the indexing is completed, Windows will be able to find the file and display it in the search results.
Option 3 – Try removing the excluded folders
If you have already enabled the Enhanced mode but your files still don’t appear, then you might want to check out the excluded folder list.
- The first thing you have to do is go to Search and from there, you will find a list of folders under the Excluded folder list.
- Next, click on the excluded folder that you want to remove by clicking on the “Remove Excluded folders” button.
- If you are using the Classic search, you have to check if the index has restrictions on the file type. You can find it in Advanced options > File Types.
Note: If you want to search in Documents, you could also enable the Index Properties and File Contents. This should resolve the problem.
Option 4 – Try to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter
You might also want to run the Search and Indexing troubleshooter in Windows 10 as it checks whether the settings for the Windows Start Search are in place and automatically corrects any issues if the update or software installation has changed the settings. To run it just click on the Start button and select Settings > Updates and Security > Troubleshoot. From there, select the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Windows 10 Start Menu Search not searching the entire PC error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Windows 10 Start Menu Search not searching the entire PC error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.