What to do if the Word icon is not showing on .doc & .docx document files in Windows 10
Recently, a number of users reported seeing plain white icons on their “.docx” files instead of the Word icon. This kind of issue is mostly caused by a conflict with the default program settings in Windows which is why you may not see any Microsoft Word icon on your .docx files. So if you suddenly find that the Microsoft Word icon is either blank or missing and does not show properly on .doc and .docx document files of Office on your Windows 10 computer, then you can check out the potential solutions outlined below.
Before you proceed, you can try to restart your computer as there are instances when a simple system restart can resolve some issues like this one. However, if it does not help, create a System Restore point first. This is to ensure that you can always undo the changes you are about to make in case something goes wrong. Once you have that covered, proceed to the following options.
Option 1 – Try to configure .docx files to open with “winword.exe”
You can try configuring the .docx files to open with the winword.exe in order to fix the problem.
- Right-click on a .docx file and select the “Open with…” option.
- After that, if a prompt appears with a message saying, “How do you want to open this file”, select the “More apps” option to proceed.
- Next, scroll down and check the checkbox that says, “Always use this app to open .docx files” option.
- Then click on the “Look for another app on this PC” link and choose the WINWORD.exe application from one of the following paths based on the installed Office version in your computer and click Open:
- Word 2016 (64-bit): C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16
- Word 2016 (32-bit): C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/root/Office16
- Now check if you can now see the Word icon on the .doc or .docx files.
Option 2 – Try changing the default Word icon via Registry Editor
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run utility.
- Then type “Regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, navigate to this path located in the left pane: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOTWord.Document.12DefaultIcon
- From there, double click on the default value at the right pane and based on the Word version you are using as well as the architecture (32 bit or 64 bit) and then copy-paste the corresponding value in the Value data box:
- For Word 2016 (64-bit) keep it as C:/Program Files/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/wordicon.exe,13
- For Word 2016 (32-bit) Keep it as C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Office/root/Office16/wordicon.exe,13
- Once you’re done, tap Enter and then close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your computer and see if the problem’s fixed.
Option 3 – Try to rebuild the Icon cache
You may want to rebuild the Icon cache as it could also help fix the issue.
- Tap Win + E to open File Explorer and then click Folder Options and click Views to show Hidden System Files.
- After that, go to C:Users%username%AppDataLocal folder and look for a file named Iconcache.db and delete it.
- Next, go to C:Users%username%AppDataLocalMicrosoftWindowsExplorer.
- From there, look for the following files and delete them.
- Restart your computer. This will purge and rebuild the icon cache.
Option 4 – Try fixing Office apps
Fixing the Office apps can help you resolve the Word icon issue. All you have to do is open Settings > Apps. From the app list, look for the Microsoft Office Desktop apps and select it and then click on the Advanced options and click Fix. After that, wait until the process is completed and restart your PC. However, if the problem still persists, repeat the steps again but this time, click on Reset instead of Fix.
Option 5 – Try to repair Office Installation
If the options given above didn’t work, you can try to repair the Office installation and see if it can fix the problem.
- Open Control Panel and click on Programs and Features.
- Next, right-click on the Office program that you want to repair which in this case is, Word.
- Select Change and click Repair > Continue. After that, Office will start to repair Microsoft Word.
- Wait until the process is done and then reboot your computer.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Word icon that is not showing on .doc & .docx error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Word icon is not showing on .doc & .docx error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.