What to do if the Downloads folder loads slowly in Windows 10
If you are frequently experiencing slow loading of folders in your Windows 10 computer, Downloads folder for instance, then you’ve come to the right place as this post will help you resolve such issue. Slow loading of folders is a common problem faced by many users even when they are using the latest hardware like SSDs. So if you experience the same thing, be it with the Downloads folder or other folders on your computer, there is a way to resolve that issue and make the folder load faster.
Slow-loading means when you attempt to open the folder, it takes a couple of seconds before it displays its contents. In such cases, you’ll see a green loading address bar that says “Working on it” which can get quite annoying especially if you are in a hurry. And if you notice that this only happens in the Downloads folder, there certainly is something wrong. This kind of problem can occur on SSDs and normal hard drives. The main reason behind the occurrence of this problem is that the folder may have been optimized for viewing photos or other media formats which is why it takes quite longer than usual to load all the files and their thumbnails. However, since the Downloads folder usually contains all kinds of files like documents, zip files, audio/video files, etc. there is no need to optimize this folder for media files only because doing so is only going to make the Windows File Explorer slow in loading the folder’s contents and thumbnails which does not exist for many files.
Option 1 – Configure the Downloads folder
- Right-click on the Downloads folder or the folder you’re having trouble opening.
- Then click on Properties and go to the Customize tab.
- After that, click on the “Optimize this folder for” option in the drop-down menu.
- Next, select General items from the drop-down which might have been set by default to Pictures or Video.
- You also have the option to apply this template to all the subfolders, that is if your folder has any subfolders.
- Now apply the settings and restart Windows Explorer.
Note: Once you’ve completed the steps above, it should now make the folder content display a lot faster than before. Now try to open the Downloads folder which would not take much time as you will see the changes right away.
Option 2 – Run CHKDSK to check your disk for errors
When it comes to some issues concerning the hard drive or removable devices, there is a utility in Windows that might help which is called “chkdsk”. This error check utility can help with several issues in the system including File System Error -2147219196.
- Tap the Win + S keys to open the Search box.
- Then type “command prompt” in the field and from the search results that appear, right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- After opening an elevated command prompt, copy and paste the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /r /f
- Now if you are prompted to run CHKDSK after your reboot your PC, just tap Y and reboot your PC.
- If CHKDSK is not able to find any errors, tap the Win + E keys and navigate the access window. From there, right-click on the concerned drive and click on Properties.
- After opening Properties, click on the tab Tools and then click on the “Check” button under the Error-checking section.
- Wait until the process is completed and then restart your computer.
- Once your computer has restarted, try accessing the file and check if the error persists.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Downloads folder loads slowly error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Downloads folder loads slowly error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.