What to do if Option to Change Network from Public to Private is missing in Windows 10
You have the option to choose to configure the Network to Private or Public when you set it on Windows 10 PC. On the other hand, if the option to change the Network from Public to Private goes missing in Windows Settings then this post will surely help. You can find this setting under Settings > Network and Internet > Ethernet and appears when you click on it.
If you are not able to see the option to change the network profile, then you either can’t open the settings, or the option to change it has been disabled. To resolve this issue, you can either use the Registry Editor or Windows PowerShell. Refer to the options given below for more details.
Option 1 – Change the Network Profile via Registry Editor
Changing the Network Profile can be done using the Registry Editor. But before you proceed, make sure that you create a System Restore Point first just in case. Refer to the steps below to do so.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “Regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- After that, navigate to this key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionNetworkListProfiles
- Now expand the Profiles key folder located in the left pane to see one or more folders.
- Next, expand each one of these folders and look for the “Description” sub-key which should match the name of your network.
- After you find the Description sub-key, look for another sub-key named “Category” and double click on it to open it.
- Now change its value from “0” to “1” to change the Network Profile from Public to Private.
Option 2 – Change the Network Profile via Windows PowerShell
Aside from the Windows Registry, you can also use Windows PowerShell in changing the Network Profile from Public to Private and so on. Take note that you have to use PowerShell with admin privileges. Just refer to the steps below to do so.
- Tap the Win + X keys and then select the “PowerShell (Admin)” option.
- Next, click on Yes if the User Account Control prompt appears.
- After that, execute the commands listed below. Hit Enter right after you key in each one of them.
- Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex <index number> -NetworkCategory Private
Note: Since every Network Profile has an index number, you can check the label “Name” to identify the network that you want to change.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Change Network from Public to Private error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Change Network from Public to Private error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.