What to do if Chrome won’t open or launch on Windows 10
If you’re suddenly unable to launch or open Google Chrome or unable to load web pages, then it’s most likely that the files in Chrome have been corrupted or some plugin is taking up a lot of resources which is why you encounter an error message saying, “Google Chrome has stopped working”. And when you try to check the Task Manager, you’ll see that Chrome is really taking up lots of resources, however, when you check the Taskbar, strangely, you will see nothing. If you are currently facing this issue in Chrome on your Windows 10 PC, follow the given options below.
Option 1 – Kill Google Chrome’s process in the Task Manager
If you aren’t able to open Chrome, then maybe its process is running in the background and you don’t see the browser windows. If that’s the case, you may have to force quit the browser and then try to open it again.
- First, right-click on the Taskbar then select the Task Manager. And if the Task Manager is not responding, you can just use the Alt + Ctrl + Del keys and then select the Task Manager.
- After opening the Task Manager, under Processes, look for Google Chrome’s process which would most likely be named “chrome.exe”.
- Right-click on Google Chrome’s process and then select the End task option.
- Now try to open Google Chrome again.
Option 2 – Try checking if your antivirus program is blocking Google Chrome
There are instances when due to false-positive, a security or antivirus program might block Chrome which is why it failed to open properly. Thus, you can just disable the security program temporarily and then check if you can now open Chrome or not.
Option 3 – Delete the User Profile in Chrome
You can also try deleting the User Profile folder in Chrome. To do so, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then copy and paste “%USERPROFILE%AppDataLocalGoogleChromeUser Data” and hit Enter.
- From there, look for a folder named “Default folder” and then copy the folder to another drive as a backup.
- After creating a copy of the folder, delete the Default folder.
- Next, open Google Chrome again and go to Settings > Advanced > Reset.
Option 4 – Disable the Extensions in Chrome
There are instances when issues on a browser are triggered or caused by some problematic extension. To find out which one of your extensions is causing the problem, disable them all first and then enable them back one by one.
- Click on the three-dotted icon for the menu located at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Then click on the More tools option and go to Extensions.
- From there, you will see a list of all the installed extensions in Chrome.
- Disable all these extensions and restart the browser.
- Now enable them back one by one to figure out which one of them is the culprit. You could also remove extensions that you no longer use.
Option 5 – Run the Chrome Cleanup tool
You might also want to try running the Malware Scanner & Cleanup tool in Chrome. This is a built-in tool that can help you get rid of any unwanted pop-ups, banners, ads, unusual startup pages, toolbars, and malware. Thus, it can help you to resolve the issue in Chrome.
Option 6 – Try to reinstall Chrome
If running the Malware Scanner & Cleanup tool in Chrome didn’t work out for you, you can try reinstalling it. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to System > Apps & features.
- From there, look for Chrome and uninstall it from your PC.
- Then go to the official website of Google Chrome and download its latest version and install it.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Chrome won’t open or launch error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Chrome won’t open or launch error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.