Fix Socket Error 10060
Socket Error 10060 – What is it?
Socket Error 10060 is basically a connection time-out error. This error occurs when the remote FTP server does not respond to CuteFTP.
This time-out error occurs after an FTP session is established but even the server doesn’t respond. The error message is displayed in the following format:
‘Connection timed out. A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host failed to respond.’
Socket Error 10060 may occur due to multiple reasons including:
- Blocked port
- Data connection incorrect settings
- When the web proxy connection setting does not allow enough time to receive a response from the destination website and therefore the connection is timed-out.
- Registry issues
- Viral infection
Further Information and Manual Repair
Here are some of the best and quick DIY methods to resolve Socket Error 10060 on your PC.
Method 1: Troubleshoot the Web Proxy Connection
This method is workable and effective if Socket Error 10060 occurs only when the web proxy service is used. To execute it, here’s what you need to do: install the Winsock Proxy Client on your PC.
Disable the web proxy settings under the LAN settings on the Connections tab of the internet options. Once you disable the settings, then try to go to the website that you giving you the error. If the site is accessible, the error is resolved.
Method 2: Increase Web Proxy Time out Settings
If disabling the web proxy settings doesn’t work, then try increasing time-out settings. To do so, you will also have to modify the registry.
Remember serious problems may occur if you modify the registry incorrectly.
- Here’s what you need to do, click start, run and then type Regedit in the dialogue box.
- Navigate to the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesW3ProxyParameters.
- On the right side of the Registry Editor, right-click Request TimeoutSecs and then click Modify.
- Click decimal, they type the number of seconds that you want the proxy service to wait until the session times out.
- To confirm changes, click OK.
- Now restart WWW publishing service by going to start, run and type cmd. Click OK to continue.
- Type net stop iisadmin/y and then press enter. After that type net start iisadmin /y and then press enter. Test the new settings by going to the website that displayed the Socket Error 10060 message.
Method 3: Switch from Passive Mode to Active Port Mode
This method is effective if the error occurs due to incorrect data connection settings.
CuteFTP uses passive mode by default so to ensure the error is resolved, you may have to switch from passive mode to active port mode. To make this switch, open the site manager and then click once on the name of the problem website.
Now on the Type tab change the data connection type to use the port.
Method 4: Configure Firewall Settings
Sometimes the error may also occur due to Firewall. To resolve, configure Firewall settings to allow FTP protocol.
Method 5: Download Restoro
Whether the error occurs due to viral infection or registry issues, it is advisable to download Restoro.
This is an advanced and multi-functional PC fixer embedded with multiple utilities like antivirus and a registry cleaner. The registry cleaning utility removes junk files, cookies, and invalid entries damaging the registry.
It cleans, repairs, and restores the registry while the antivirus removes all types of viruses like spyware and Trojans in seconds thereby resolving socket error code 10060.
It is safe, user-friendly, and compatible with all Windows versions. Click here to download Restoro today.