How to Fix Windows was unable to repair the drive” Error in Windows 10
If you connected your Hard Disk, USB, or SD card to your Windows 10 computer and you suddenly encounter an error that says, “Windows was unable to repair the drive”, read on as this post will help you fix the problem. This kind of error indicates that the file system on the drive has become corrupted and that ChkDsk was not able to repair the problem. You can also encounter this error when you try to run the ChkDsk utility to repair the system.
This kind of error is most likely due to the general corruption of the contents in the drive. It is also possible that you removed the external drive without using the “Safely remove hardware” option or it could be that the drive is still in use. To fix the problem, the obvious thing to do is to safely remove the external drive by using the “Safely remove hardware” option. If it didn’t work, you can try to run the CHKDSK utility from the command line or you could also restart your computer in a Clean Boot State and then run the scan. Before you proceed with the potential fixes provided below, make sure that you create a system restore point first or you could also create a backup copy of the data to an external drive.
Option 1 – Run the CHKDSK utility from the command line
Although some users reported getting the “Windows was unable to repair the drive” when they run a CHKDSK scan, other users reported that running it also fixed the error. Thus, you can try to run it and see if it works or not.
- In the Windows Search box, type “command prompt” and from the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- After opening Command Prompt, type this command and tap Enter: chkdsk <Partition Letter>: /f
- The command you entered will start to check for errors and fix them automatically. Else, it will throw an error message saying, “Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like the schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”.
- Tap the Y key to schedule Disk Check the next time your computer restarts.
Option 2 – Restart your computer in a Clean Boot State
There are some instances that some conflicting programs installed in your computer might be the one that triggers the “Windows was unable to repair the drive” error to appear when you connect your external drive or run the CHKDSK utility. To identify which program is causing the problem, you need to put your computer in a Clean Boot State. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Log onto your PC as an administrator.
- Type in MSConfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- Once your computer has restarted in a Clean Boot State, perform your scan again and see if it now works, and then start to isolate the problem by checking which one of the programs you installed recently is the root cause of the problem.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Windows was unable to repair the drive error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Windows was unable to repair the drive error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.