How to Fix Windows Update Standalone Installer Error 0x80096002 in Windows 10
If you are using a Windows Update Standalone Installer to install Windows Updates in your Windows 10 computer but you suddenly encounter an error saying, “Installer encountered an error: 0x80096002, The certificate for the signer of the message is invalid or not found”, read on as this post will guide you on how you can fix it.
This kind of error could be due to the vendor’s certificate that might have become invalid, compromised, or pulled. Aside from that, it is also possible that the update is not targeted at your OS version. You could get this error when you try to install an incompatible update or software on your computer. This error can also appear due to misconfigured system files or when you try to install BitLocker To Go Drive Encryption or BitLocker Drive Preparation Tool. To fix this error, you can try to run the standalone installer in Compatibility mode or enable the Windows Identity Foundation or run the Windows Update troubleshooter.
Make sure to check if the error was resolved after every suggestion. It will help you learn what fixed the problem.
Option 1 – Try to run the installer in Compatibility mode
- Look for the setup file.
- Once you find it, right-click on it and select Properties from the context menu.
- After that, go to the Compatibility tab and mark the checkbox for “Run this program in compatibility mode for:” and from the drop-down list, select the Windows OS version you want the installer to run on.
- You also have to check the “Run as administrator” option.
- Now click the Apply button and then click OK to save the changes made and check if it has resolved the issue or not.
Option 2 – Try to troubleshoot compatibility
This option is almost the same as the first one except it is an alternative way of fixing the error 0x80096002 in case the first one didn’t work. In this option, you will troubleshoot the compatibility issue.
- Look for the setup file.
- Then right-click on it and select the “Troubleshoot compatibility” from the context menu.
- After that, click on the “Try recommended setting” option. Once the process is done, the error message should be gone.
Option 3 – Try to enable the Windows Identity Foundation
You might also want to enable the Windows Identity Foundation as some users reported that it helped in resolving the error for them. To do so, follow these steps:
- In the Windows Start Search, type “Turn Windows features on or off” and click on the matching result.
- This will open a list of Windows Features and from there, look for the Windows Identity Foundation.
- Once you found it, click on its checkbox and click OK to enable it and save the changes made.
- Now see if it has fixed the error or not. If not, you have to disable the feature.
Option 4 – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter is one of the things you can first check out as it is known to automatically resolve any Windows Update errors like error 0x80096002. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80096002 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80096002 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.