How to Fix Windows Update Install Error 0x80070020 in Windows 10
Getting a few errors here and there when updating your Windows 10 computer is not uncommon. Some of these errors won’t allow the Windows Update service to initiate while the other ones will halt the process while it’s running. So in this post, we’ll show you what you can do to fix the Windows Update error 0x80070020.
The Windows Update error 0x80070020 is most likely caused by some programs installed in the system which interferes with the Windows Update process. It might be an antivirus program, an incompatible program, a potentially unwanted program, or worse, malware. In addition, corrupted or missing files might also be the culprit. Whichever the cause may be, here are some suggestions you need to check out to resolve the problem.
Option 1 – Try to reset the Windows Update components manually
- To manually reset the Windows Update components, first, you need to stop the Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Windows Update, and the Cryptographic Services. To do so, run the following command in Command Prompt and make sure to press Enter after you enter each one of them:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptsvc
- Next, delete the “qmgr*.dat” file in order to reset the Windows Update components. To do delete this file, run the following command in Command Prompt:
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%Application DataMicrosoftNetworkDownloaderqmgr*.dat
- Now you have to rename both the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders by entering the following command in Command Prompt:
- Ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistributionSoftwareDistribution.bak
- Ren %systemroot%system32catroot2catroot2.bak
- Reset BITS and Windows Update service by entering the following commands in Command Prompt:
- sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
- Now enter the following command:
- cd /d %windir%system32
- RE-register BITS and other Windows Update related files by typing each one of the following commands:
- regsvr32.exe atl.dll
- regsvr32.exe urlmon.dll
- regsvr32.exe mshtml.dll
- regsvr32.exe shdocvw.dll
- regsvr32.exe browseui.dll
- regsvr32.exe jscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe vbscript.dll
- regsvr32.exe scrrun.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml3.dll
- regsvr32.exe msxml6.dll
- regsvr32.exe actxprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe softpub.dll
- regsvr32.exe wintrust.dll
- regsvr32.exe dssenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe rsaenh.dll
- regsvr32.exe gpkcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe sccbase.dll
- regsvr32.exe slbcsp.dll
- regsvr32.exe cryptdlg.dll
- regsvr32.exe oleaut32.dll
- regsvr32.exe ole32.dll
- regsvr32.exe shell32.dll
- regsvr32.exe initpki.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuapi.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuaueng1.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltui.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups.dll
- regsvr32.exe wups2.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgr.dll
- regsvr32.exe qmgrprxy.dll
- regsvr32.exe wucltux.dll
- regsvr32.exe muweb.dll
- regsvr32.exe wuwebv.dll
- Now type each one of those commands below.
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptsvc
Option 2 – Install the updates in a Clean Boot State
You might want to try putting your computer in a Clean Boot state and then install Windows Updates again without any trouble. During this state, you can start the system with a minimum number of drivers and startup programs that will surely help you in isolating the root cause of the issue.
- Log onto your PC as an administrator.
- Type in msconfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- After that, try to install the Windows Updates or upgrade again.
Option 3 – Clear the contents of both the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders
- Open the WinX Menu.
- From there, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in the following command – don’t forget to hit Enter right after typing each one of them.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
- After entering these commands, it will stop the Windows Update Service and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Next, go to the C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder and get rid of all the folders and files thereby tapping the Ctrl + A keys to select them all and then click on Delete. Note that if the files are in use, you won’t be able to delete them.
- Once all the contents in the Software Distribution folder are deleted, restart your PC and then go back to Command Prompt and input the following commands again.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
Since the folder has already been flushed, it will be populated afresh the instant your restart your computer and open Windows Update.
Option 4 – Try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter could also help you resolve the Windows Update error 0x80070020. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Option 5 – Try restarting the Windows Update Services
- Open the Services Manager.
From there, make sure that you set the following services and Startup types:
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service: Manual
- Cryptographic Service: Automatic
- Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered)
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80070020 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80070020 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.