How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x8e5e0147 in Windows 10
As you already know, the Windows Update mechanism in Windows 10 is a bit complex as it depends on thousands of files and services in order to properly function. There are DLL files and services that support this mechanism’s proper functioning. And so if there is any malfunction with any of these files or services, it will result in some errors when running Windows Update. One of these errors is the error code 0x8e5e0147 which has the following error message:
“There was a problem installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help – Error 0x8e5e0147”
To fix this error, there are several methods you can try. You can run the Windows Update troubleshooter or reset the Windows Update components manually or clear the SoftwareDistribution folder and install the update manually. You could also reset the Windows Update Agent to default using a command in PowerShell.
Option 1 – Try to run the Windows Update troubleshooter
The first thing you can do to fix the Windows Update error code 0x8e5e0147 is to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Option 2 – Try to reset the Windows Update components
If by any chance that the third option didn’t work, you can also try resetting the Windows Update components as it could also help you resolve the Windows Update error. How? Refer to the following steps:
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After that, type each one of the following commands and hit Enter after you key in one after the other.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptsvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
Note: The commands you entered will stop the Windows Update components such as Windows Update service, Cryptographic services, BITS and MSI Installer.
- After disabling WU components, you need to rename both the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders. To do that, type each one of the following commands below and don’t forget to hit Enter after you type one command after the other.
- ren C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution/SoftwareDistribution.old
- ren C:/Windows/System32/catroot2/Catroot2.old
- Next, restart the services you’ve stopped by entering another series of commands. Don’t forget to hit Enter after you key in one command after the other.
- net start wuauserv
- net start cryptsvc
- net start bits
- net start msiserver
- Close Command Prompt and reboot your PC.
Option 3 – Try downloading and installing the Windows Updates manually
Windows Update error code 0x8e5e0147 might be due to a Windows Update that has failed. So if it is not a feature update and only a cumulative update, you can download the Windows Update and install it manually. But first, you need to find out which update has failed, and to do so, refer to the following steps:
- Go to Settings and from there go to Update and Security > View Update History.
- Next, check which particular update has failed. Note that Updates that have failed to install will be displayed under the Status column which has a label of “Failed”.
- After that, go to the Microsoft Download Center and look for that update using its KB number and once you find it, download and then install it manually.
Note: You can also use the Microsoft Update Catalog, a service from Microsoft that provides a list of software updates that can be distributed over a corporate network. With the help of this service, it can be easier for you to find Microsoft software updates, drivers as well as fixes.
Option 4 – Try to reset the Windows Update Agent
Since you can’t update the Windows Update Agent on your Windows 10 computer manually, you can try resetting it instead and you can do it using the Reset Windows Update Agent tool which you can download from the official Microsoft website. This tool allows you to:
- Scan all protected system file and replace the corrupted one’s (sfc /scannow)
- Scan, detect, and repair corruptions in Windows system image
- Clean up superseded components
- Reset Windows Update components
- Change invalid values in Windows Registry
- Delete temporary files
Moreover, this tool also allows you to carry out these operations:
- Open Internet Explorer settings
- Search for Windows Updates
- Explorer for local or online solutions
- Restart your computer
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x8e5e0147 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x8e5e0147 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.