How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80071a91 on Windows 10
Windows Update Error 0x80071a91, what it is? As you know, Windows Updates are very essential to the operating system since they push with them the important security updates that are crucial to the system. And if a Windows Update is delayed, it can the system vulnerable to potential threats. Thus, this kind of issue must be resolved right away.
One of the errors that you can encounter while updating your computer is the Windows Update Error 0x80071a91. The error code 0x80071a91 occurs when the “Transaction support within the specified file system resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error”. This happens when a service called “File System Resource Manager” or FSRM does not function due to some reason. To fix the Windows Update Error 0x80071a91, here are some suggestions that could help.
Option 1 – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter could also help you resolve the Windows Update Error 0x80071a91. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Option 2 – Disable the antivirus program temporarily
There are times when the antivirus program installed in your computer blocks file access and even disk access. Thus, disabling the antivirus program or any security software installed in your computer is always a good idea you can try when the Windows Update process does not go smoothly. So before you try updating your computer again, make sure to disable the antivirus or security program and once the Windows Update is done, don’t forget to enable the antivirus program back again.
Option 3 – Try resetting the File System Resource Manager
As pointed out earlier, the error 0x80071a91 pops up when the FSRM service suddenly stops working and so resetting this service via Command Prompt might resolve the problem. To do so, follow the steps below.
- In the Windows Search box, type “command prompt” and hit Enter.
- Then right-click on Command Prompt from the related search results and click the “Run as administrator” option.
- After opening Command Prompt as admin, type the following command and hit Enter:
resource setautoreset true C:
- After that, exit Command Prompt and restart your computer and then check if the problem’s fixed by running Windows Update again.
Option 4 – Flush the contents of the SoftwareDistribution folder
You have to stop a couple of services such as BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer, and Windows Update Services. And to do that, you need to flush the contents in the SoftwareDistribution folder. The Software Distribution folder in the Windows operating system is a folder that can be found in the Windows directory and is used to store files temporarily which might be required to install the Windows Update on your PC. Thus, it is required by the Windows Update and maintained by WUAgent. Aside from that, it also contains all the Windows Update History files and once you delete them, you will most likely lose the Update history. As a result, the next time you run the Windows Update, it may result in a longer detection time.
- Open the WinX Menu.
- From there, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in the following command – don’t forget to hit Enter right after typing each one of them.
net stop wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After entering these commands, it will stop the Windows Update Service, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Cryptographic, and the MSI Installer
- Next, go to the C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder and get rid of all the folders and files thereby tapping the Ctrl + A keys to select them all and then click on Delete. Note that if the files are in use, you won’t be able to delete them.
- Once all the contents in the Software Distribution folder are deleted, restart your PC and then go back to Command Prompt and input the following commands again.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
Option 5 – Delete the Common Log File System transaction logs
You might also want to delete the Common Log File System or CLFS transaction logs to fix the Windows Update Error 0x80071a91.
- Open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Then type each of the commands listed below and press Enter after you type each one of them.
- cd /d %SystemRoot%System32SMIStoreMachine
- attrib -s -h *
- del *.blf
- del *.regtrans-ms
- After you’ve executed the commands given above, restart your computer and try to update Windows 10 again.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80071a91 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80071a91 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.