How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x800706be
Error 0x800706be is a Windows error code that pops up when a particular system file is having some issue. This error pops up on other Windows-compatible software as well as driver vendors. This error signifies a misconfigured or corrupted system file so you might encounter this error in different instances. For instance, this error might pop up when you click the audio icon from the system tray or when the Windows Upgrade or Update has failed. Needless to say, this error can be caused by different factors. Anyhow, this post will show you what you can do to fix the problem when the error pops up during a Windows Update or Upgrade. If you are seeing this error when you try to install the latest Windows updates, it will show a Windows Update failed message and you obviously won’t be able to update your Windows 10 PC until you fix this error. You will keep seeing this error even when you try to reboot or update it a couple of times.
As mentioned, the error code 0x800706be appears when there is something wrong with your system files – they are either corrupted or misconfigured. This error is most likely caused by the corrupted Windows Update Components. Corruption of these files is not unusual and it could happen anytime. So since the Windows Update files or components are corrupted, you won’t be able to successfully install the latest Windows Updates.
Here are some options you can try to fix the problem.
Option 1 – Try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Running the Windows Update troubleshooter is one of the basic things to do when facing any kind of issue with Windows Updates. As long as it can it will detect the issue and automatically solve them so that there will be no need for you to do more technical steps to resolve the issue.
- Tap the Windows and R keys on your keyboard to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type in “control.exe /name Microsoft.Troubleshooting” in the field and tap Enter to open the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
- After that, click Windows Update and follow the next on-screen instructions.
Option 2 – Try resetting the Windows Update Components
This is another basic thing to do in fixing the error 0x800706be. It is also one of the solutions that mostly worked for users who also got this error when trying to install Windows updates. And since the problem is caused by corrupted Windows update components, the most logical thing to do is to delete old files and reset components.
To reset the Windows Update components, follow the given instructions below carefully.
- Tap the Windows key once.
- Then in the Windows Start Search, type in “command prompt”.
- From the search results displayed, right-click on Command Prompt and select the “Run as administrator” option.
- After that, type in “net stop wuauserv” and tap Enter.
- Next, type in “net stop cryptSvc” and tap Enter.
- Then type in “net stop bits” and tap Enter.
- Type in “ren C:\Windows\Software\Distribution Software\Distribution.old” and then tap Enter.
- Afterward, type in “C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\Catroot2.old” and tap Enter.
- Next, type “net start cryptSvc” and tap Enter.
- Then type “net start bits” and tap Enter.
- Finally, type in “net start msiserver” and tap Enter.
- Now close Command Prompt and then try updating Windows once more.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x800706be error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x800706be error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.