How to Fix Windows Update and Microsoft Store Error code 0x80070424 in Windows 10
As you know, both the Windows Update and Windows Store are inter-dependable services in Windows 10 operating system. So when one of these services encounters an error like the “0x80070424, ERROR_SERVICE_DOES_NOT_EXIST”, the other service will most likely get this error as well. Note that this kind of error can occur to both the Windows Update Standalone Installer and to the Windows Update section in the Windows 10 Settings app. Some users also reported getting this error while trying to update Windows Defender as well.
You can see the following error message in the Windows Update Standalone Installer:
“Installer encountered an error: 0x80070424, The specified service does not exist as an installed service.”
While you’ll see the following error message in the Windows Store:
“The were some problems installing updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x80070424).”
To fix this error, you can try to re-register the Background Intelligent Transfer Service DLL file or run the Windows Update and Store apps troubleshooters. You can also reset the Windows Update-related folders or the Microsoft Store or fix the Windows Update files by using the DISM tool. On the other hand, you can also use the Registry Editor or check Windows Services. For more details regarding these potential fixes, refer to each one of the given options below.
Option 1 – Try to re-register the Background Intelligent Transfer Service DLL file
You may have to re-register the Background Intelligent Transfer Service DLL file using the regsvr32.exe before you can successfully install the program and fix ntdll.dll file crash error. The Regsvr32 tool is a command-line utility that can be used to register and un-register OLE controls as DLL and ActiveX (OCX) controls in the Windows operating system. Follow the steps below to use it.
- Open Command Prompt as admin from the WinX menu.
- Next, type the following commands in the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter to execute the command. This will re-register the affected DLL file using the Windows operating system tool, regsvr32.exe.
- regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s
- regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
Note: Replace “[DLL file]” with the name of the DLL file that was pointed out in the error.
- After you execute the given commands, you should see a message saying, “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded” if the Regsvr32 tool was able to run successfully.
- Now restart your computer and check if the error is now fixed.
Option 2 – Try to run the Windows Store or the Windows Update Troubleshooters
The Windows 10 Store Apps Troubleshooter will help you in fixing the Error code 0x80070424. This is a great built-in tool from Microsoft that helps users fix any app installation issues. So this is worth a try to solve the problem. This built-in tool also helps you fix the Windows 10 Store if it isn’t working.
To use the Windows Store Troubleshooter, follow the steps below.
- Tap Win + I keys again to open the Windows Settings panel.
- Go to Update & Security and then go to Troubleshoot.
- On your right hand side, scroll down to find the Windows Store Apps and then click on Run the troubleshooter option and see if it fixes the problem.
Note: You can also try running the Windows Update troubleshooter to fix the error. You can run it under the Windows Update section of Update & Security.
Option 3 – Delete the files from Software Distribution Folder & Catroot2 folders
The downloaded Windows Updates are placed in a folder called “SoftwareDistribution”. The files downloaded in this folder are automatically deleted once the installation is completed. However, if the files are not clean up or if the installation is still pending, you can delete all the files in this folder after you pause the Windows Update service. For complete instructions, refer to these steps.
- Open the WinX Menu.
- From there, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in the following command – don’t forget to hit Enter right after typing each one of them.
net stop wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After entering these commands, it will stop the Windows Update Service, Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), Cryptographic and the MSI Installer
- Next, got to the C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution folder and get rid of all the folders and files there by tapping the Ctrl + A keys to select them all and then click on Delete. Note that if the files are in use, you won’t be able to delete them.
After resetting the SoftwareDistribution folder, you need to reset the Catroot2 folder to restart the services you just stopped. To do that, follow these steps:
- Type each one of the following commands.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- After that, exit Command Prompt and restart your computer and then try to run Windows Update once more.
Option 4 – Try to reset the Microsoft Store cache
Just like browsers, Microsoft Store also caches as you view apps and games so it is most likely that the cache is no longer valid and must be removed. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Right click on the start button and click on Command Prompt (administrator).
- Next, type in the command, “wsreset.exe” and tap Enter. Once you do, the command will clear the cache for the Windows Store app.
- Now restart your PC and afterwards, try opening Microsoft Store again and then see if Error Code 0x80070424 is resolved or not.
Option 5 – Try to check the Windows Update or WU setting in the Registry
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run utility and type “regedit” in the field and tap Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, go to this registry path: ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREPoliciesMicrosoftWindowsWindowsUpdate
- Here, look for the DWORD named “DisableWindowsUpdateAccess” and double click on it and then set its value data to “0”.
- Exit the Registry Editor once you’re done and restart your computer.
Option 6 – Try to check the status of some Windows Update Services
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “services.msc” in the field and hit Enter or click OK to open Services.
- From the list of Services, look for the following services and make sure that their Startup type is as follows:
- Windows Update Service – Manual (Triggered)
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service – Manual
- Workstation Service – Automatic
- After that, check if the Service status of the listed services above are set to Running. If they’re not, click on the Start button to start these services and then check if you can now enable the Windows Update service or not.
Option 7 – Run the DISM tool
You can also run the Deployment Imaging and Servicing Management or DISM tool to fix the error code 0x80070424. Using this built-in tool, you have various options such as the “/ScanHealth”, “/CheckHealth”, and “/RestoreHealth”.
- Open the Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- Then type in the following commands and make sure to hit Enter right after you type each one of them:
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Do not close the window if the process takes a while as it will probably take a few minutes to finish.
- Once it’s done, reboot your computer and check if it has fixed the error.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80070424 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80070424 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.