How to Fix Windows Defender “The Threat Service has stopped” Error in Windows 10
There are times when you see a message in Windows Defender saying, “The Threat Services has stopped, Restart it now” when you try to use it. This kind of error is usually fixed by simply clicking on the Restart now button. However, if the error still appears even after you restart your computer and you see another message that says, “Unexpected error, Sorry, we ran into a problem”, then continue reading as this post will guide you in resolving this issue in Windows Defender.
Before you proceed with the given fixes below, you have to create a System Restore point first. This way, you can always undo any changes you’ve made in case something goes wrong.
Option 1 – Make sure that the Windows Defender Services are started
The Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection service is the one that protects your computer from advanced threats by monitoring and reporting security events that happen on your computer. This is why you have to make sure that this, as well as other required services in Windows Defender, are set to their default values and are started. To do so, follow these steps:
- In the Cortana search box, type “services” and click on the Services icon to open the Services Manager. Alternatively, you can also tap the Win + R keys to launch the Run prompt and then type “services.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Services Manager
- After opening the Services Manager, look for the following services and make sure that their Startup type is set to their default values:
- Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service – Manual
- Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service – Manual
- Windows Defender Antivirus Service – Manual
- Windows Defender Firewall Service – Automatic
- You can right-click on each one of the listed services and then select Start to start them.
- And if some of the services don’t have their default values, just double-click on the Services to change the Startup types and select the correct option from the drop-down menu of the Startup type under the Properties box.
- Next, set up the Startup type of these services to Automatic and then click on the Start button if the services are not running yet.
- Now click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes made and then see if it fixed the problem or not.
Option 2 – Try modifying some entries in the Windows Registry
If the first option didn’t work in fixing the problem, you can try to alter some entries in the Windows Registry using the Registry Editor.
- First, tap Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “Regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, navigate to this registry path: HKLMSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindows Defender
- From there, look for the “DisabledAntivirus” and “DisableAntiSpyware” DWORDS from the right pane and change each one of their values to “0”. On the other hand, if you don’t see any of these DWORDS, you can create them instead and give each one of them a 0 value.
- To create a DWORD, simply right-click on any empty space and select New > DWORD. Then name them both as “DisabledAntivirus” and “DisableAntiSpyware”.
- Afterward, set the value of the newly-created DWORDS to 0.
- Now exit the Registry Editor and reboot your PC to apply the changes made and then check if it has fixed the error in Windows Defender or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Defender, The Threat Service has stopped error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Defender, The Threat Service has stopped error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.