How to Fix Windows 10 Update Error 0x800F081F – 0x20003
If you are trying to upgrade your computer but encounter the Windows Update Error 0x800F081F – 0x20003 instead, then read on as this post will guide you in fixing this Windows Update error. This kind of error is commonly encountered when upgrading your copy of Windows 10 and is caused by errors with various developer-related settings that are being enabled in the system.
When you encounter Windows Update Error 0x800F081F – 0x20003, you will see either of these error messages:
“We couldn’t install Windows 10. The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during INSTALL_UPDATES operation: Error 0x800F081F”
“The installation failed in the Safe_OS phase with an error during apply_image operation: Error: 0x800f081f – 0x20003”
To fix this kind of Windows Update error, you need not use external programs but you can try to disable the Developer Mode, run the Windows Update troubleshooter or restart all the Windows Update-related services and components. For more details, refer to the options provided below.
Option 1 – Try to disable Developer Mode
You might have to disable Developer Mode to fix the Windows Update Error 0x800F081F – 0x20003. How? Refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- Next, go to Update & Security > For Developers.
- From there, select the toggle for Sideload apps or Microsoft Store apps located on the right-side panel.
- If you get any prompt, just click on Yes.
- After that, navigate to Apps > Apps & features and then click on Optional features on the right-side panel.
- Then scroll down to locate the Windows Developer Mode entry and select it and click on Uninstall.
- Once you’re done uninstalling the Windows Developer Mode component, close the Settings app and restart your computer to apply the changes made.
Option 2 – Try to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You should also try to run the built-in Windows Update troubleshooter as it could help you resolve the Windows Update Error 0x800F081F – 0x20003. To run it, go to Settings and then select Troubleshoot from the options. From there, click on Windows Update and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button. After that, follow the next on-screen instructions and you should be good to go.
Option 3 – Try restarting various Windows Update-related services and components
- Tap the Win + X key combination and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After opening Command Prompt, copy and paste each one of the commands listed below one by one and tap Enter right after you enter each command.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- net stop appidsvc
- ren %systemroot%SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- ren %systemroot%system32catroot2 catroot2.bak
- Once you’ve entered all the commands given above, they will stop all the Windows Update services that are running on your computer as well as clear the SoftwareDistribution folder, and reset the Catroot2 folder. Now you have to start all these Windows Update services you’ve just stopped by executing the following commands:
- net start wuauserv
- net start bits
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
- After that, restart your computer and try to run the setup again, and see if the error is now fixed.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x800F081F – 0x20003 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x800F081F – 0x20003 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.