How to Fix “This device is currently in use” – USB Error in Windows 10
USB storage devices, peripherals, and other devices are almost used on a daily basis. And as you know, when removing the USB storage devices, it is recommended to always use the “Safely remove the USB storage device” option in order to prevent data corruption in the USB storage device. However, there are times when you may see the following error message after you use the “Safely remove the USB storage device” option:
“Problem ejecting USB Mass Storage – This device is currently in use, close any programs or windows that might be using this device, and then try again.”
This kind of error message occurs when the device is still interacting with the operating system in the background. There are several ways you can fix this error but before you check them out below, you need to close all the open windows and programs that may be using the USB storage device and then wait for a couple of seconds and then try safely removing it again. However, if you are still getting the same error message, then here are some tips you should try:
Option 1 – Try to use the Task Manager
- Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys on your keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- After that, look for the running processes and programs hogging on your USB Storage device. The error could be due to a program or process that’s using the USB device. This program or process will hog onto some Disk or CPU while transferring data and interacting with the device.
- Once you find the culprits, right-click on each one of them and select End Process or End Task. You could also try to restart the process for “Explorer.exe” and see if it fixes the problem.
Option 2 – Try using DISKPART
The next thing you can try to resolve the issue is to use DISKPART. Refer to the given steps below to do so.
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch Run and then type “cmd” in the field and tap Enter or click OK to open an elevated Command Prompt.
- Next, type and enter this command to execute it: diskpart
- The command you entered will initiate the DISKPART utility. After that, type and enter this second command: list disk
- Next, type and enter this third command: list volume
- The commands you just executed will help you in either listing all the Disk connects or all the partitions on those disks formed and from there, you need to select one command depending on the “list” command you entered. You can execute either of the two following commands:
- select disk #
- select volume #
- After that, it will select the Disk or Partition you want to select.
- Now type either one of the following commands:
- offline disk #offline volume #
- The command you entered will mark the selected disk is Offline. Afterward, try to safely remove your USB Storage device. Just remember that when you plug it back in again, you have to carry out the same method except for the last given command as this time you will have to enter either of these commands in order to get your USB storage device back online:
- online disk #
- online volume #
Option 3– Try using the Disk Management utility
- Tap the Win + R keys to open Run.
- Then type “diskmgmt.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Disk Management utility.
- Next, look for the entry for your USB Storage device and once you’ve found it, right-click on it and select Offline.
- After that, try to safely remove your USB Storage device again and see if the error is fixed. Note that you need to go over the same steps again if you want to plug your USB Storage device back in but make sure to select the Online option instead of Offline to get your device back online.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the This device is currently in use, USB error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the This device is currently in use, USB error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.