How to Fix Screen Aspect Ratio issues in Windows 10
There are times when you upgrade or install Windows 10 on an old computer and the Aspect Ratio of the screen is in a mess. This issue occurs when a new Windows version does not support the GPU or the driver does not work in Windows 10. And in such cases, Windows uses a generic driver which does not support all the resolution as well as the correct aspect ratio. So in this post, you will be guided on how you can fix the issues with the screen aspect ratio in Windows 10.
It could be that your screen has an aspect ratio of 16:9 but after the upgrade, you changed to screen resolution, and is now set to 16:!0. And later on, you found that you are unable to go back to the previous aspect ratio. Thus, you will notice that everything on the screen might look stretched. You might be wondering if it’s possible to change the aspect ratio in Windows 10 directly even if the GPU does not have the compatible driver, well it really isn’t. However there is another way to resolve the problem. Refer to the options given below to get started.
Option 1 – Try using the Compatibility Mode
The first thing you can do is to run the driver in a Compatibility Mode. Follow the steps below to do so:
- You need to download the driver and place it on your desktop.
- After that, right-click on it and select Properties.
- Next, switch to the Compatibility tab where you should see two options:
- Compatibility troubleshooter, and let Windows figure out what works best for you. If it fails, follow the next.
- Manually choose the version of Windows it was correctly working.
- You also have the option to change the DPI settings and see if that helps. Then click the Apply and OK buttons.
- Now right-click on the file and select the “Run as administrator” option to install. After that, you should now be able to change your screen aspect ratio to what you were using early on.
Note: If you have other programs that won’t work on the existing version of Windows, then make sure to run the program in a Compatibility mode.
Option 2 – Try to run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter
You might also want to run the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter. This built-in troubleshooter is available in the Windows Update & Security section. From there, select Troubleshoot. This will find a list of programs for you and since you have already downloaded the driver files, just click on Not Listed located at the top of the program list. After that, browse and select the driver files and then let the program do its job.
Option 3 – Update or rollback your device drivers
If the first option didn’t work for you, then it’s time to either update or roll back the device drivers. It is most likely that after you updated your Windows computer that your driver also needs a refresh. On the other hand, if you have just updated your device drivers then you need to roll back the drivers to their previous versions. Whichever applies to you, refer to the steps below.
- Open the Devices Manager from the Win X Menu.
- Then locate the device drivers and right-click on them to open the Properties.
- After that, switch to the Driver tab and click on the Uninstall Device button.
- Follow the screen option to completely uninstall it.
- Finally, restart your computer. It will just reinstall the device drivers automatically.
Note: You can install a dedicated driver on your computer in case you have it or you could also look for it directly from the website of the manufacturer.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Screen Aspect Ratio issues in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Screen Aspect Ratio issues in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.