How to Fix PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR in Windows 10
If you suddenly encounter a PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error, then this post can help you out. The PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR BSOD usually occurs when any new hardware that is mostly the Plug and Play type is attached. In such cases, when the device is plugged, and the driver for that device crashes or isn’t found or is not compatible, you will most likely encounter this particular BSOD error.
There are several error codes that come under this category, some of them are 0x000000CA (0x01681690, 0xEA96A7BE, 0x938A81AD, 0xF8362881. This BSOD error can also occur at any time. However, the only constant thing here is when you plug a PNP device like earphones, microphones, USB drives, and many more.
The PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR bug check has a value of 0x000000CA which indicates that the Plug and Play Manager encountered some severe error which is most likely have something to do with a problematic Plug and Play driver. To fix this error, here are some possible solutions that could help.
Option 1 – Run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows 10 that helps users in fixing BSOD errors like PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error. It can be found on the Settings Troubleshooters page. To use it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Settings panel.
- Then go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- From there, look for the option called “Blue Screen” on your right-hand side and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter and then follow the next on-screen options. Note that you might have to boot your PC into Safe Mode.
Option 2 – Try disabling or removing newly installed hardware
In this option, you will have to disable or remove the hardware you’ve just installed recently since external devices could be the one that’s causing the Blue Screen of Death error to appear. To do that, just disconnect any external device that’s connected to your computer physically and then check if it fixes the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error.
Option 3 – Try disabling BIOS Memory options namely Caching Shadowing
Disabling the BIOS Memory options such as Caching and Shadowing can help you in fixing the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error. All you have to do is enter the BIOS first and then use the Arrow and Enter keys to select your choices. And if you can’t seem to find it, look for specific instructions from your OEM or you could also look out for instructions from the manufacturer of your motherboard.
Option 4 – Try to run the CHKDSK utility
Running the CHKDSK utility might also help you resolve the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error. If your hard drive has issues with integrity, the update will really fail as the system will think that it’s not healthy and that’s where the CHKDSK utility comes in. The CHKDSK utility repairs hard drive errors that might be causing the problem.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After opening Command Prompt, execute the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- Wait for the process to be completed and then restart your computer.
Option 5 – Try to uninstall programs you’ve installed recently
Chances are, some programs that you just installed might be the one that’s causing the BSOD error. Thus, you need to uninstall the program to resolve the problem.
- In the search box, type in “control” and then click on Control Panel (desktop app) among the search results.
- After that, select Programs and Features from the list which will give you a list of all the programs installed on your computer.
- From there, look for the concerned program and select it and then uninstall it.
Option 6 – Update the Device drivers
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, a list of device drivers will be displayed. Look for the device driver you and then select either “Update driver” or “Uninstall device”. And if you find any “Unknown device”, you need to update it as well.
- Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option and then follow the instructions to complete the process.
- If you have chosen to uninstall the driver, follow the screen options to complete the process and then restart your PC.
- Connect the device and Scan for hardware changes – you can see this option under Device Manager > Action.
Option 7 – Perform a System Restore
Performing System Restore might help you in fixing the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen error. You can do this option either by booting into Safe Mode or in System Restore. If you are already in the Advanced Startup Options, just directly select System Restore and proceed with the next steps. And if you have just booted your PC into Safe Mode, refer to the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- After that, type in “sysdm.cpl” in the field and tap Enter.
- Next, go to the System Protection tab then click the System Restore button. This will open a new window where you have to select your preferred System Restore point.
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions to finish the process and then restart your computer and check if the problem is fixed or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.