How to Fix PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error on Windows 10
If you suddenly encounter PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen of Death error while using your computer then it means that the Page Frame Number or PFN list is corrupted. Page Frame Number is an indexing number used by the hard drive to find out the location of every single file on the physical disk. This kind of Blue Screen error is usually caused by a driver that’s passing a bad memory descriptor list and it can either be temporary or permanent. And so to fix this particular BSOD error, read on as this post contains a couple of suggestions that could help.
Keep in mind that when you get a Blue Screen error like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT, the power connection to your PC must not be interrupted and so if you are using a laptop, it’s best if you connect it to a power source. On the other hand, if creating a dump from 0% to 100% takes up more than 5-10 minutes, then you have to force shut down your computer by pressing and holding the Power Key for 10 seconds or at least until the CPU lights turn off. After you do that, proceed to the troubleshooting tips prepared below.
Option 1 – Run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows 10 that helps users in fixing BSOD errors like PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. It can be found on the Settings Troubleshooters page. To use it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Settings panel.
- Then go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- From there, look for the option called “Blue Screen” on your right-hand side and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter and then follow the next on-screen options. Note that you might have to boot your PC into Safe Mode.
Option 2 – Run a System File Checker scan
You can also try to run a System File Checker or SFC scan in order to scan your computer for corrupted files that might be the cause behind the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error. Once it finds any corrupted system files, it will automatically fix them. To run System File Checker, here’s what you have to do:
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few whiles before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
- Restart your computer after the scan is completed.
Option 3 – Check for any hard disk errors
- On your desktop, right-click on the “This PC” or computer icon and then select Manage to open the Disk Management. Here you get to check your drive’s health.
- Next, click on Disk Management on the left side panel.
- From there, check the state of your drives. If it shows that all your partitions are healthy then it means all is good and that the problem may have something to do with some physical issues with your hard drive.
You might also want to run the CHKDSK utility to help you fix any issues with your hard disk. If your hard drive has issues with integrity, the update will really fail as the system will think that it’s not healthy and that’s where the CHKDSK utility comes in. The CHKDSK utility repairs hard drive errors that might be causing the problem.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- After opening Command Prompt, execute the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /f /r
- Wait for the process to be completed and then restart your computer.
Option 4 – Update the Device drivers
Updating the Device drivers can also help you fix the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Blue Screen error. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, a list of device drivers will be displayed. If you see a red or yellow sign that shows up against the driver, right-click on the driver and select “Update Driver Software”.
- Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option and then follow the instructions to complete the process.
- Restart your PC and then check if the Blue Screen error is now fixed or not.
Option 5 – Disable OneDrive
The PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error might also be caused by OneDrive. Thus, you have to try disabling this program to resolve the problem.
- Tap the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys to open the Task Manager.
- Once the Task Manager is open, click on More Details located at the bottom left portion of the window.
- Then go to the Startup tab and select Microsoft OneDrive and then click Disable.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.