How to Fix “Not enough USB controller resources” Error in Windows 10
As you know, USB is now being widely used in all devices with USB A as the leading type with most devices based on it. Peripheral devices such as Pen Drives, External Hard disks, and many more also use a USB port. On the other hand, USB C is also coming up to be the next big standard in the computing world because of its high transfer speeds, wider compatibility as well as support for external Graphics Processing Units. However, just recently, USB 3.0 ports have been reported to cause the following error to pop up on Windows 10 computers every time a USB device is plugged in.
“Not enough USB controller resources. The controller does not have enough resources for this device.”
To fix this error, here are some guidelines you can check out. Make sure to follow them carefully.
Option 1 – Try to use a lower generation USB port
The first thing you can do is to try using a lower generation USB port as this issue mostly occurs when a device is connected to a USB 3,0 port. This means that you have to plug in your device to a USB 2.0 port and then see if it fixes the error or not. You can easily decipher a USB 3.0 port from a USB 2.0 port as the former is in blue.
Option 2 – Try to use a dock
You could also try to use a dock to resolve the error. Note that when too much power on laptops and notebooks are drawn from the USB ports and as a USB 3.0 port draws more power compared to a USB 2.0 port. Thus, if you plug in your USB storage device into a USB 2.0 port with the help of a dock, it should fix the problem.
Option 3 – Try disabling the xHCI Mode option in the BIOS
- First, boot your computer into the BIOS.
- Once your computer has booted, go to the Advanced tab.
- Next, make sure that the entry for “xHCI Pre-boot mode” is set to Disabled under the USB Configuration section.
- Now save the changes you’ve made and then restart your computer to Windows 10 and see if the error is now fixed.
Option 4 – Update or reinstall the Universal Serial Bus Controller driver
Since it could be a driver issue, you can try to update or reinstall the Universal Serial Bus Controller drivers using the Device Manager. Refer to the following steps:
- First, click the Start button and type “device manager”.
- Then click on the “Device Manager” from the search results to open it.
- From there, look for the “Universal Serial Bus controllers” option and then right click on each one of the USB drivers, especially the Generic USB Hub driver, and then select the Update Driver from the menu.
- Restart your PC and then click the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
Note: If updating the USB Controller drivers didn’t work, you can try to reinstall them instead.
Option 5 – Run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
You could also run the Hardware and device Troubleshooter to try and fix the “Not enough USB controller resources” error.
- The first thing you need to do is click on Start and then on the gear-like icon to pull up the window for Settings.
- After opening Settings, look for the Update and Security option and select it.
- From there, go to the Troubleshoot option located on the left-hand side of the list.
- Next, select Hardware and Devices from the list and open the Troubleshooter and run it. Once it is doing its job, wait for it to complete the process and then restart the system.
- After the system restarts, check if the problem’s now fixed. If not, refer to the next option given below.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Not enough USB controller resources error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Not enough USB controller resources error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.