How to Fix Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll Missing Error in Windows 10
DLL files have certain functions that help the programs in the computer run properly. One of these DLL files is the Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll. This particular DLL file is responsible for the extraction of the required resources during the installation of a program and is used when the program is launched or when games are launched in the C++ language. However, a number of users recently reported that they’ve encountered an error that says, “Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll is missing” when they tried to install an application or when they tried opening an application.
This kind of error could be due to several factors. It is possible that the DLL file is corrupted or there are some programs that interfere with the DLL file. On the other hand, it is also possible that it has been infected by a virus. To resolve this error, here are some potential fixes you need to check out:
Option 1 – Run System File Checker scan
The first thing you can do to fix the error is to try running the System File Checker or SFC scan. System File Checker is a command utility built into your computer that helps restore corrupted files and missing files. Refer to the following steps to run it:
- Hit the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few whiles before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
- Reboot your computer.
Option 2 – Troubleshoot the missing Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll error in a Clean Boot State
You can also troubleshoot the isDone.dll error in a Clean Boot state. It could be that there are some third-party applications in your computer that are preventing the application from getting installed and to isolate this possibility, you need to boot your computer in a Clean Boot State and then try installing the program again. Putting your computer in this state can help you identify which program is the culprit and thus isolates the problem. In a Clean Boot state, your computer will start using only the pre-selected minimal set of drivers and startup programs. Note that you have to disable and enable one process at a time.
- Log onto your PC as an administrator.
- Type in MSConfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- After you’ve set your computer into a Clean Boot State, make sure that you’re signed in as administrator and then try to install the application again.
Option 3 – Try to re-register the problematic DLL file
You can also try to re-register the DLL to resolve the problem. The Regsvr32 tool is a command-line utility that can be used to register and unregister OLE controls like DLL and ActiveX (OCX) controls in the Windows operating system. Follow the steps below to use it.
- Open Command Prompt as admin from the WinX menu.
- Next, type the following commands in the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter to execute the command. This will re-register the affected DLL file using the Windows operating system tool, regsvr32.exe.
- exe /[DLL file]
- exe [DLL file]
Note: Replace “[DLL file]” with the name of the DLL file that was pointed out in the error.
- After you execute the given commands, you should see a message saying, “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded” if the Regsvr32 tool was able to run successfully. After that, try to install the program again and see if it now works.
Option 4 – Try to replace the DLL file with a trusted source
- First, you need to get the new DLL file from another computer with preferably the same file version number.
- After that, you need to boot your PC into Safe Mode and navigate to the paths listed below and then replace the file using a USB drive or other external storage devices.
- x86: This PC > C:WindowsSystem32
- x64: This PC > C:WindowsSysWOW64
- Next, type “cmd” in the Cortana search box and right-click on Command Prompt, and select “Run as administrator” to open it with administrator privileges.
- Now type the “regsvr32 ntdll.dll” command and hit Enter.
- Restart your PC and check if the error is now fixed.
Option 5 – Scan your computer using Windows Defender
The DLL file might also be infected with malware or virus and to eliminate it which could explain why you’re getting the “Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll is missing” error. Thus, you have to scan your computer using security programs like Windows Defender.
- Tap the Win + I keys to open Update & Security.
- Then click on the Windows Security option and open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Next, click on Virus & threat protection > Run a new advanced scan.
- Now make sure that Full Scan is selected from the menu and then click the Scan Now button to get started.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll Missing error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Msvcr120.dll_clr0400.dll Missing error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.