How to Fix INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005 (atidxx64.dll) error when using Edge on Windows 10
If your Microsoft Edge browser encountered a Stop Error that says, “INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005 (atidxx64.dll)” in your Windows 10 computer, then this indicates that your Graphics card driver is outdated. According to security experts, Microsoft has already acknowledged the problem and stated that this issue exists with Windows 10 v1809, Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server version 1809.
Although there is no direct way to resolve the problem, there are still some workarounds you can try. If you are using a RadeonHD2000 or HD4000 series video card, the update will be blocked for you. Some users also claim to experience performance issues with the lock screen or the ShellExperienceHost. However, if you are using AMD, the problem is that it no longer supports Radeon HD2000 and HD4000 series graphics processing units or GPUs. Even though Microsoft is already working for a way to resolve the problem, here are some alternative solutions you can check out:
Option 1 – Update your Graphics card drivers
- First, boot your computer into Safe Mode.
- After that, tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, a list of device drivers will be displayed. From there, look for the Display Adapters and click on them.
- After that, right-click on each entry under the Display Adapters and select the “Uninstall Device” option from the menu.
- Now restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, go to the Settings app and Check for Updates in the Windows Update section.
Note: You also have the option to go directly to the website of your graphics card manufacturers like NVIDIA, Intel or AMD and go to the section called Drivers then check if there’s a new available update – if there is, download and install it.
Option 2 – Try removing AMD Radeon HD2000 and HD4000 drivers
Although this is not exactly a perfect solution, removing AMD drivers will make the operating system fall back to the default GPU available on your motherboard. You also have the option to completely disable the hardware.
- Tap the Win + X + M keys to open the Device Manager.
- Next, look for your Graphics card drive, and under Display Adapters, right click on them and click Uninstall device or Disable device.
- After that, restart your computer. This will disable the AMD drivers so you won’t be able to find them. It will also release the Windows 10 v1809 update on your computer and in case your operating system tries to prompt you with the “New Device found” message, simply ignore it.
Option 3 – Try to use another browser
You might want to use another browser especially when you already updated your computer and Microsoft Edge still keeps on crashing. You can use Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and other browsers as alternatives until you sort out the problem.
Option 4 – Try to remove the Graphics card physically
You might also want to try removing both AMD Radeon HD2000 and HD4000 as they are very old graphics cards. And since AMD is not going to roll out anything, at least on its own if your motherboard has an onboard GPU, it would be best to get rid of the cards. After that, install the Windows v1809 update and then put them back in. You also have the option to install the driver but just don’t use Microsoft Edge.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the INVALID_POINTER_READ_c0000005 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.