How to Fix GWXUX has stopped working Error in Windows 10
If your Windows 10 computer is downloading or installing updates but suddenly an error pops up saying, “GWXUX has stopped working”, read on as this post will show you what you can do to resolve the problem. GWXUX is a process responsible for downloading and installing Windows updates and is installed on your computer via Windows Updates. That particular update is known as “KB3035583”. Through this process, the “Get Windows 10” pop-ups are installed and initiated by Microsoft. This process is also capable of checking the compatibility of your PC to run Windows 10 as well as preparing it for installation. However, this process might also result in excessive usage of Disk and sometimes, CPU. So in this post, you will be guided on how you can fix the issue with the GWXUX. Follow the instructions given below carefully.
Option 1 – Disable GWXUX in the Task Scheduler
You will have to disable the gwxux.exe process to run from the Task Scheduler. Thus, you need to follow the steps below to do so.
- Open the Cortana Search box and then type “task scheduler” in the field.
- Then click on Task Scheduler from the related search results that appear to open it.
- After opening the Task Scheduler, navigate to Microsoft > Windows > Setup > gwx on the left panel from the Task Scheduler Library.
- Once you select the GWX folder, you will see two tasks that are listed under that folder. Select both of these tasks and permanently disable them.
- Restart your computer to apply the changes made and check if the issue is now fixed or not.
Option 2 – Uninstall the KB3035583 Windows Update
- To uninstall the KB3035583 Windows Update, you need to go to Control Panel, and for you to do that, type “control panel” in the Cortana Search box.
- After that, click on Control Panel from the related search results given.
- Once Control Panel is pulled up, search for “View Installed Updates” in the search field from the top right part of the window.
- Next, click on a link labeled, “View Installed Updates” under the Programs and Features menu.
- After clicking the link, you will see the list of all the installed updates in your computer from the Windows Updates.
- Now look for an update named “KB3035583” and select it.
- You should notice the Uninstall button located at the top portion of the sub-menu ribbon as you can see on the snippet below. Click on that button to uninstall the KB3035583 Windows Update.
- After uninstalling the update, make sure to restart your computer to apply the changes made.
Option 3 – Try using the System File Checker
System File Checker or SFC is a built-in command utility that helps in restoring corrupted files as well as missing files. It replaces bad and corrupted system files with good system files that might be causing the error 0x80200056. To run the SFC command, follow the steps given below.
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few whiles before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
After running the System File Checker, restart your computer and check if the error with the GWXUX.exe file is now fixed or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the GWXUX has stopped working error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the GWXUX has stopped working error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.