How to Fix File System Error 2147219196 in Windows 10
If you receive an error message saying, “File System Error 2147219196” when trying to open a picture, access a file or when moving a folder on your Windows 10 computer then read on as this post will help you resolve this error. According to experts, this error started to appear right after the Windows Update v1803 was released. Users who installed the new Windows version faced the same dilemma.
This error might be caused by a corrupted disk or it could be due to some broken Windows components or due to file system encryptions. Before you troubleshoot the problem, make sure that you are logged in as an administrator.
Option 1 – Update Windows
The first thing you can do to Resolve File System Error -2147219196 is to update Windows. Since Microsoft is already aware of this issue, they might have already released a fix for this in one of their new updates so make sure to check for any available updates on your computer and have it installed right away.
- Tap Win + S to open Search then type “update” in the field and from the search results that appear, click on Windows Update.
- After that, it will open Windows Update under Settings and from there click the Check for Updates button and let Windows check for any available updates.
- And if there are any updates available, download and install them on your Windows 10 computer.
- Restart your PC and check if the error is now fixed or not.
Option 2 – Run CHKDSK to check your disk for errors
When it comes to some issues concerning the hard drive or removable devices, there is a utility in Windows that might help which is called “chkdsk”. This error check utility can help with several issues in the system including File System Error -2147219196.
- Tap the Win + S keys to open the Search box.
- Then type “command prompt” in the field and from the search results that appear, right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- After opening an elevated command prompt, copy and paste the following command and hit Enter:
chkdsk /r /f
- Now if you are prompted to run CHKDSK after your reboot your PC, just tap Y and reboot your PC.
- If CHKDSK is not able to find any errors, tap the Win + E keys and navigate the access window. From there, right-click on the concerned drive and click on Properties.
- After opening Properties, click on the tab Tools and then click on the “Check” button under the Error-checking section.
- Wait until the process is completed and then restart your computer.
- Once your computer has restarted, try accessing the file and check if the error persists.
Option 3 – Disable the File System Encryption
File System Encryption allows you to encrypt drives to protect them from being accessed from another computer. This is the standard practice in various organizations in order to protect their data. However, there are times when the file encryption system caused issues for users in accessing files and throws the File System Error -2147219196 instead which is why you need to temporarily disable it to access your file. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “control” in the field to open Control Panel.
- From there, navigate to Security and select the BitLocker Drive Encryption option from the list.
- After that, make sure that all your drives are not encrypted and if any of them are encrypted, turn off encryption by selecting Turn off BitLocker.
- Reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.
Option 4 – Run SFC scan
- Tap Win + R to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
- Restart your computer once the scan is completed.
Congratulations, you have just fixed Error 2147219196 in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix Error 2147219196 in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.