How to Fix Error code 0x80190001 during Windows 10 Update or Setup
If you are trying to install a Feature Update in Windows 10 but you got the error code 0x80190001, then it means that there is something wrong with the installation files. The installation files are either corrupted or some of them failed to be downloaded. On the other hand, the issue might also have something to do with a driver issue.
When you encounter error 0x80190001, you will see the either of following error message on your screen:
“Something went wrong
Couldn’t download Windows 10, please check your network settings and try again. You can contact Microsoft support for help with this error. Here’s the error code 0x80190001”.
“An unexpected error was encountered while attempting to download files required for the upgrade”.
Here are some fixes that could help you resolve the error 0x80190001. Follow them carefully.
Option 1 – Run the Network Troubleshooter
As mentioned in the error message the issue might have something to do with the network settings of your computer so you can try to run the Network Troubleshooter and then try updating or installing Windows 10 again.
Option 2 – Update Network drivers
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, look for Network Adapters from the list of device drivers displayed. Once you find it, expand it to see the Network drivers.
- Right-click on it and select the option “Uninstall device” – do the same thing for the other Network drivers.
- Restart your PC so Windows can detect and reinstall the drivers you just uninstalled.
Option 3 – Use Storage Sense to clean up temporary and junk files
- Open Setting > System > Storage from the WinX Menu.
- From there, you will see a list of all the local and connected storage devices along with the details on the free space.
- Now make sure that the Storage Sense feature is turned On then go find a link that says “Free Up Space” and click it to open.
- After that, a screen which is the built-in program in Windows 10 will appear and will scan your computer for the following junk files so you can free up disk space:
- Windows Upgrade Log Files
- The system created Windows Error Reporting Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Previous Windows Installation Files
- Delivery Optimisation Files
- DirectX Shader Cache
Note: Once you’re done freeing up space on your drive, try to run the setup file again.
Option 4 – Delete the contents in the SoftwareDistribution folder
The Software Distribution folder in the Windows operating system is a folder that can be found in the Windows directory and is used to store files temporarily which might be required to install the Windows Update on your PC. Thus, it is required by the Windows Update and maintained by WUAgent. A lot of users tried deleting the files in this folder to fix the problem and so far it has worked. Like them, you can try clearing the Windows Update cache by simply deleting the contents of the folder named “SoftwareDistribution” since Windows apparently can’t clear and re-download the update contents once they are corrupted. Thus, deleting the contents of this folder will make Windows download the contents again which will fix the problem. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Open the WinX Menu.
- From there, open Command Prompt as admin.
- Then type in the following command – don’t forget to hit Enter right after typing each one of them.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
- After entering these commands, it will stop the Windows Update Service and the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Next, go to the C:/Windows/SoftwareDistribution folder and get rid of all the folders and files thereby tapping the Ctrl + A keys to select them all and then click on Delete. Note that if the files are in use, you won’t be able to delete them.
- Once all the contents in the Software Distribution folder are deleted, restart your PC and then go back to Command Prompt and input the following commands again.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
Since the folder has already been flushed, it will be populated afresh the instant your restart your computer and open Windows Update.
Option 5 – Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
You might also want to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter as it is also known to help users resolve Windows Update errors like error 0x80190001.
Option 6 – Try to disable your antivirus program
Disabling the antivirus program or any security software installed in your computer is always a good idea you can try when the Windows Update process does not go smoothly. So before you try updating your computer again, make sure to disable the antivirus or security program and once the Windows Update is done, don’t forget to enable the antivirus program back again.
Option 7 – Try to use the Media Creation tool
The Media Creation tool in Windows allows you to use the ISO installation file to make a bootable device that you can use to install Windows on your PC. Note that this is kind of different from the usual installation process as it could erase your computer’s current settings and data on the primary drive. Thus, before you proceed, you need to backup all your data into some removable drive and then use the Media Creation Tool to make a bootable drive.
- After making the bootable drive, you need to plug it into your computer and then reboot.
- Next, tap the F10 or Esc key to open the boot options.
- Now set the boot priority of the removable drive the highest. Once the setup comes forth, follow the next onscreen instructions and install Windows without any problems.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80190001 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80190001 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.