How to Fix Error 740 The requested operation requires elevation in Windows 10
If you are trying to open a folder or run a program or delete a file but you encounter an error message instead saying, “Error (740), The requested operation requires elevation” on your Windows 10 computer, then this post should help. Make sure that you follow each one of the options given below carefully.
Option 1 – Always run the program as an administrator
There are some apps that require administrator privilege before they can be opened. So if you are got the “Error (740), The requested operation requires elevation” error when you try to open a particular app on your computer, you have to try opening it as administrator instead. On the other hand, if you are already using an administrator account or if you are a member of the administrator group, this option may not work for you so just proceed to the next one but if you’re only using a regular account, then follow these steps:
- First, right-click on the app you are trying to open and select Properties.
- After that, go to the Compatibility tab and check the checkbox labeled “Run this program as an administrator”.
- Next, click the Apply and OK buttons and see if the app opens without any problem.
Option 2 – Try to change the folder permissions
If you encounter Error 740 while opening a folder, then you need to try changing the folder permissions.
- First, right-click on the folder and click Properties.
- Next, go to the Security tab and click the Advanced button.
- After that, check the checkbox labeled, “Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries from this object” and then click the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes made.
Option 3 – Try disabling UAC
The User Account Control or UAC settings might be the one that’s responsible for Error 740 which is why you have to disable the User Account Control and then verify if it’s the one that triggers the error or not. To do that, simply search for “Change user account control settings” in the Taskbar search box and then drag the blue bar down to the bottom and click the OK button to save the change made.
Option 4 – Select the Elevate without prompting option in the Group Policy Editor
There is an option in the Group Policy Editor which allows you to disable the UAC prompt. Disabling the “Elevate without prompting” option can help in resolving Error 740 and to disable it, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Then type “gpedit.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Next, navigate to the following path:
Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options
- From there, go to the Security Options folder where you can find a policy named “User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode”. Double click on it to open its options.
- Now select the Elevate without prompting option from the drop-down menu and click OK.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Error 740 in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Error 740 in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.