How to Fix Error 0x80071AC3, Volume is dirty error message – CHKDSK in Windows 10
If you are trying to copy a folder or a file but encountered an error that says, “An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the folder. If you continue to receive this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem”, read on as this post will guide you on how you can fix this error.
This kind of error is a CHKDSK error. It is the “Volume is dirty” error message with error code 0x80071AC3 which indicates that the CHKDSK operation on your computer did not go through due to some corrupted sector of your hard drive, data corruption, corrupted system files, malware infection, as well as improper installation of an application that left some residual folders and files and many more.
To fix the Error 0x80071AC3, here are some potential fixes you can check out to resolve it:
Option 1 – Run the Check Disk utility
You can also run the Check Disk utility to fix the error when you connect your USB or external device.
- In the Windows Search box, type “command prompt” and from the search results, right-click on Command Prompt and select “Run as administrator”.
- After opening Command Prompt, type this command and tap Enter: chkdsk /r /f <PARTITION LETTER>
- The command you entered will start to check for errors and fix them automatically. Else, it will throw an error message saying, “Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like the schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)”.
- Tap the Y key to schedule Disk Check the next time your computer restarts.
Option 2 – Try to check if a particular volume is dirty and exclude it
The next thing you can do to fix the problem is to check if the particular volume is dirty and exclude it. To do so, follow these steps:
- In the Start Search, type “command prompt” in the field and right-click on Command Prompt from the search results, and then select the “Run as administrator” option.
- After opening Command Prompt with admin privileges, execute this command: fsutil dirty query <PARTITION LETTER>
- After that, you will see either of the following results of the command you just executed:
- “Volume <PARTITION LETTER> is dirty”
- “Volume <PARTITION LETTER> is not dirty”
- If you see the “Volume <PARTITION LETTER> is dirty” message, then you can just skip checking the drive for errors by executing this command: CHKNTFS /X <PARTITION LETTER>
Option 3 – Try to format the destination drive
If the first two options above didn’t work, then you might want to try formatting the drive can also help you resolve the error. To format it, follow these steps:
- To get started formatting your drive, tap the Win + E keys and then go to the access page of the drive.
- Next, right-click on the drive and select Format.
- After that, uncheck the “Quick Format” option and then format your drive properly.
- Now once the formatting process is finished, unplug the drive and plug it back in afterward.
- Check if the error is already fixed. If the drive is not initialized, tap the Win + R keys and hit Enter.
- After opening the Run dialog box, type “diskmgmt.msc” and hit Enter to open Disk Management.
- From there, right-click on the drive volume and select initialize disk.
- Next, select the correct partition type and proceed.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0x80071AC3 error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0x80071AC3 error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.