How to Fix Display driver failed to start Error in Windows 10
Recently, a number of users reported an error when they tried to open graphic-intensive apps like video games. According to users, when they tried to open an app, they get the “Display driver failed to start” error instead. Thus, if you encounter the same error, then you’ve come to the right place as this post will guide you on how exactly you can fix it.
Here’s the full content of the error message:
“Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver.”
This kind of error could be due to several factors. It is possible that it could be a result of a corrupted or outdated graphics driver. Aside from that, it could also be due to some issues with the system settings. Worry not though for there are potential fixes that can help you fix the problem. But before you troubleshoot the problem, you need to update your Windows 10 computer first and if it didn’t help fix the problem, then here are the potential fixes that should help resolve the “Display driver failed to start” error.
Option 1 – Try to restart the Graphics driver
Although Windows 10 can recover the graphics driver on its own when it crashes, there are times when it fails to do its job. To restart the graphics driver in your computer, simply tap the Win + Ctrl + Shift + B key combination. After that, the graphics driver will be back in less than a second.
Option 2 – Try running the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
Running the built-in hardware and devices troubleshooter can also help you in fixing the “Display driver failed to start” error.
- The first thing you need to do is click on Start and then on the gear-like icon to pull up the window for Settings.
- After opening Settings, look for the Update and Security option and select it.
- From there, go to the Troubleshoot option located on the left-hand side of the list.
- Next, select Keyboard from the list and open the Troubleshooter and run it. Once it is doing its job, wait for it to complete the process and then restart the system.
- After the system restarts, check if the problem’s now fixed. If not, refer to the next option given below.
Option 3 – Try to update or rollback the Graphics driver
You can try to update your Graphics card driver using the Device Manager in your computer to resolve the “Display driver failed to start” error or you can also go directly to the website of your graphics card manufacturers like NVIDIA, Intel, or AMD and go to the section called Drivers then check if there’s a new available update – if there is, download and install it.
To update your Graphics driver via Device Manager, refer to these steps:
- First, boot your computer into Safe Mode.
- After that, tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, a list of device drivers will be displayed. From there, look for the Display Adapters and click on them.
- After that, right-click on each entry under the Display Adapters and select the “Uninstall Device” option from the menu.
- Now restart your computer.
- After restarting your computer, go to the Settings app and Check for Updates in the Windows Update section.
Option 4 – Try setting your system for maximum performance
If the first three options didn’t fix the error, you can try setting your computer for maximum performance since Windows 10 allows you to choose the effects you want to activate your system and you can do this by adjusting the performance ratio. Adjusting the performance ratio can be done via a certain setting in your computer – and this setting should be set to “Maximum Performance” to resolve the error.
- In the Windows Search bar, type in “performance” and from the search results that appear, select the “Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows” option.
- Next, a mini window will appear and from there, click on the radio button that says, “Adjust for best performance”.
- Once done, click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes made. This should resolve the problem.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Display driver failed to start error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.