How to Fix DCOM Error 1084 on Windows 10
Distributed Component Object Model or DCOM is a module on Windows computers that allows computers to run programs over a network to another computer. It is a software component from Microsoft that allows COM objects to communicate with each other while that program is remotely running over the network. The COM Model is another extension of the DCOM model which both work together in order for the intended task to be executed. To make this module work, there are three components needed such as the Class Identifier or CLSID, the Programmatic Identifier or PROGID, and the Application Identifier or APPID.
However, DCOM does not always work as expected as it could still encounter some errors. One of them is error 1084. Because of this error, the execution of programs in a remote computer on the network would be interrupted. So if you encounter the DCOM error 1084 when you try to start a service like running the DISM tool or in other scenarios on your Windows 10 computer, then this post could help you. Refer to the instructions given below to start troubleshooting the problem.
Option 1 – Try checking the status of DCOMLAUNCH Service or DCOM Server Process Launcher and its 3 dependencies
The DCOM Server Process Launcher service launches both COM and DCOM servers in response to object activation requests. This is why if this service is stopped or disabled, the programs that are using COM and DCOM won’t properly function. So you need to make sure that the DCOMLAUNCH service is running.
- In the Cortana search box, type “services” and click on the Services icon to open the Services Manager. Alternatively, you can also tap the Win + R keys to launch the Run prompt and then type “services.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Services Manager.
- Next, check the following services:
- DCOM Service Process Launcher
- Background Tasks Infrastructure Service
- Local Session Manager
- Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
- Then right-click on each one of the services and click on their Properties.
- After that, select Automatic from the drop-down menu of Startup Type and make sure that all the aforementioned services are Running.
- Now click OK for each one of the services.
Option 2 – Troubleshoot the problem in a Clean Boot State
There are instances that some conflicting programs installed in your computer might be the one that’s causing DCOM error 1084. To identify which program is causing the problem, you need to put your computer in a Clean Boot State. To do so, follow the steps below.
- Log onto your PC as an administrator.
- Type in MSConfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- From there, start to isolate the problem by checking which one of the programs you installed recently is the root cause of the problem.
Option 3 – Try to use the DISM tool
You might want to repair potentially corrupted files in your system as having them could also trigger the DCOM error 1084. To repair these corrupted system files, you can run the DISM commands:
- Tap the Win + X keys and click on the “Command Prompt (Admin)” option.
- After that, input each one of the commands listed below sequentially to execute them:
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once you’ve executed the commands given above, restart your computer and check if the DCOM error is now fixed.
Option 4 – Reset your computer
- Tap the Win key or click on the Start button located in the Taskbar.
- Then click on the Power button at the bottom right portion of the screen.
- Next, press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard and then click on Restart. This will restart your Pc into the Advanced Startup options.
Note: Once you have access to the Advanced Startup options, you have to go to the setting which allows you to Reset your Windows 10 PC. All you have to do is select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC to reach the following screen
Afterward, select either the “Keep my files” option and then proceed to the next on-screen instructions that follow to reset your Windows 10 computer without losing your files.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the DCOM Error 1084 in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the DCOM Error 1084 in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.