How to Fix “Could not find this item, This is no longer located in path” Error in Windows 10
If you were trying to copy, move modify or delete a folder or a file in your computer but you’re not able to do so and encountered an error instead that says, “Could not find this item, This is no longer located in <path>, Verify the item’s location and try again”, then you’ve come to the right place as this post will guide you on how you can fix this error.
You can encounter this error when you delete, rename, open or copy a certain file which is often created by third-party software and lacks important information like file format, and so on. Although you can see these files in File Explorer, you might not be able to perform some operations in them. To fix this problem, you need to check out the given suggestions below.
Option 1 – Try to rename the file via Command Prompt
If you were trying to rename the file but unable to do so, you can achieve that by executing a command in Command Prompt. Make sure to follow the steps carefully.
- Type in “Command Prompt” In the Start menu to search for it or you could also click the search button right next to the Start menu and then right-click on the related result and select the option “Run as administrator” to open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- Next, type in “cd” followed by the path where the file is located with this format – “C:/Folder1/Folder2/Folder3”. However, you have to omit the problematic file this time. To put it simply, the last folder in the command must be the folder where the file is located.
- After inputting the command, press Enter on your keyboard and then use the set of commands given below. Note that each command is a new line so you need to tap Enter after copying each line.
- DIR /A /X /P
- RENAME (the current name of the problematic file) (a non-problematic name)
Note: Make sure that you only input the current name and the new name separated by a space. You must not write the brackets in the command. If everything goes well, you will now be able to operate the file like you used to before.
Option 2 – Try to delete the file using Command Prompt
On the other hand, if you were trying to delete the file instead of renaming it, you can execute another command in Command Prompt.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges like what you did earlier.
- Once you’ve opened Command Prompt, copy and paste the command given below and tap Entre after you do so. You also have to make sure that you key in the correct path where the file is located as well as its name.
rd /s \?X:badfolderpath
Note: In the command above, “X” is the placeholder letter so you must input the letter that corresponds to the drive’s letter where the file is located.
- After that, you will see the “Operation completed successfully” message on your screen. If you don’t, check if you’ve really inputted the correct location of the file or its name.
Option 3 – Delete the file without any extension
If the file you were trying to delete does not have an extension, this means that Windows does not know what to do with this file which is why it’s throwing an error message. The best thing to do in such cases is to delete the file especially if it takes up a lot of memory. To delete these kinds of files, here’s what you have to do:
- Follow the first two steps from the previous option above so you can navigate to the location of the file accurately just be careful in inputting the folders.
- Don’t forget to tap Enter right after each command and then use the next command below so you can delete the affected file which has no extension:
- After you’re done, open the File Explorer and then check if the file is now deleted or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Could not find this item, This is no longer located in path error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Could not find this item, This is no longer located in path error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.