How to Fix ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen in Windows 10
This post will help you fix the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen issue with an error code 0x000000BE. If you encounter this kind of BSOD error when you try to boot into your Windows 10 computer, note that there are various possible causes for this error. It could be caused by an error with a device driver, hardware issues, or some error in the BIOS of your computer.
The ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen error with a bug check of 0x000000BE appears when a driver tries to write a read-only memory segment. You’ll be able to see the name of the driver in the Blue Screen error if the driver that’s causing the error can be identified. You can also see it in memory at the location (PUNICODE_STRING) KiBugCheckDriver. In most cases, this kind of error is usually caused by various files such as iusb3hub.sys, ntkrnlpa exe or vhdmp.sys, ntoskrnl.exe, ntfs.sys, dxgkrnl.sys, tcpip.sys, atikmdag.sys, and win32k.sys. There are several possible fixes you can try to fix this issue but the main issue lies within booting into Windows since the error occurs as soon as you boot into your Windows 10 computer.
Refer to each one of the options provided below to resolve the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen error.
Option 1 – Try to rollback, update or disable drivers
The first thing you can do to fix the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Stop error is to roll back, or update, or disable device drivers. It is most likely that after you updated your Windows computer that your driver also needs a refresh. On the other hand, if you have just updated your device drivers then you need to roll back the drivers to their previous versions. Whichever applies to you, refer to the steps below.
- Open the Devices Manager from the Win X Menu.
- Then locate the device drivers and right-click on them to open the Properties.
- After that, switch to the Driver tab and click on the Uninstall Device button.
- Follow the screen option to completely uninstall it.
- Finally, restart your computer. It will just reinstall the device drivers automatically.
Note: You can install a dedicated driver on your computer in case you have it or you could also look for it directly from the website of the manufacturer.
Option 2 – Try running the Memory Diagnostic Tool
The Memory Diagnostic tool in windows can help resolve the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Blue Screen error by checking and automatically fixing any memory-based issues. To run it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open Run and type exe and hit Enter to open the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
- After that, it will give two options such as:
- Restart now and check for problems (Recommended)
- Check for problems the next time I start my computer
- Once your computer has restarted, perform a basic scan or you could also go for the “Advanced” options such as “Test mix” or “Pass count”. Simply tap the F10 key to start the test.
Note: After you select your preferred option, your computer will restart and check for memory-based issues. If it finds any issues, it will automatically fix them and if there’s no issue found, then it’s most likely not a memory-based issue so you should try the other options given below.
Option 3 – Try to update the BIOS
Updating the BIOS can help you fix the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY BSOD error but as you know, BIOS is a sensitive part of a computer. Even though it is a software component, the functioning of the hardware depends on it largely. Thus, you must be careful when modifying something in the BIOS. So if you don’t know much about it, it’s best if you skip on this option and try the other ones instead. However, if you are well-versed in navigating the BIOS, then follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “msinfo32” in the field and press Enter to open System Information.
- From there, you should find a search field on the bottom where you have to search for the BIOS version and then press Enter.
- After that, you should see the developer and version of the BIOS installed on your PC.
- Go to your manufacturer’s website and then download the latest version of BIOS on your computer.
- If you are using a laptop, make sure that you keep it plugged in until you have updated the BIOS.
- Now double click on the downloaded file and install the new BIOS version on your computer.
- Now restart your computer to apply the changes made.
Option 4 – Try disabling BIOS Memory Options
Disabling the BIOS Memory options such as Caching and Shadowing can help you in fixing the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY Stop error. All you have to do is enter the BIOS first and then use the Arrow and Enter keys to select your choices. And if you can’t seem to find it, look for specific instructions from your OEM or you could also look out for instructions from the manufacturer of your motherboard.
Option 5 – Try running the Blue Screen Troubleshooter
The Blue Screen troubleshooter is a built-in tool in Windows 10 that helps users in fixing BSOD errors like ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY. It can be found on the Settings Troubleshooters page. To use it, refer to these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Settings panel.
- Then go to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- From there, look for the option called “Blue Screen” on your right-hand side and then click the “Run the troubleshooter” button to run the Blue Screen Troubleshooter and then follow the next on-screen options. Note that you might have to boot your PC into Safe Mode.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.