How to Fix 0xc000014C error when attempting to read the Boot Configuration Data in Windows 10
If you receive the error code 0xc000014C while you boot up your computer, then this post might be of help. This kind of error usually points to the Registry of your computer that might be corrupted. As a result, the operating system was not able to read the BCD file and throws the 0xc000014C error.
The error code 0xc000014C is triggered when your computer encounters an error in the first booting sector. You might receive any of these error messages:
“Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.” with File: as “BootBCD”
Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing or is corrupt”
“Info: The Boot Configuration Data for your PC is missing or contains errors.”
To fix the error code 0xc000014C when booting your computer, you can check out the suggestions provided below.
Option 1 – Try running System Restore in Advanced Startup Options
Since you probably can’t boot into your Windows 10 computer, you can try to run System Restore again in the Advanced Startup Options.
- Boot your computer into the Advanced Startup Options screen.
- From there, you will see some options to troubleshoot when you can’t log in to Windows in the usual way.
- Now select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
- After that, type “rstrui” and hit Enter to execute the command which will start the System Restore process.
Option 2 – Try to rebuild the BCD files
You can also try rebuilding the BCD files to resolve error 0xc000014C for corrupted Boot Configuration Data
- You can start by booting into the installation environment for Windows 10 from an installation media.
- After that, click on Repair your computer and on the blue screen, select Troubleshoot and then select the Advanced options menu.
- From there, select Command Prompt and once you open it, enter each one of the commands given below by sequence.
- bootrec /FixMbr
- bootrec /FixBoot
- bootrec /ScanOS
- bootrec /RebuildBcd
- Once you’re done executing the commands given above, type “exit” to close the Command Prompt window and then restart your computer and see if it fixed error code 0xc000014c.
Option 3 – Try restoring the default and uncorrupt Registry Values
This option is a bit tricky as you have to be sure about what you are doing here. However, if you are not sure, you might want to seek out a technician to fix the problem for you. But if you can handle it, then carefully follow the steps below.
- You have to first physically remove the hard drive of the computer that’s not booting up. You can refer to it as Hard drive 1 and Computer 1, respectively.
- After that, you need to have another computer which you can refer to as Computer 2, and refer to its hard drive as Hard drive 2. Make sure that this second computer is working properly.
- Next, you have to attach Hard drive 1 to Computer 2 with the Hard drive 2 attached as well.
- After that, boot Computer 2 from Hard drive 2 where Hard drive 1 will act as the second storage unit.
- Then navigate to the following location in the System Partition of the Hard drive 2.
- From there, you have to replace all the files. Once you’re done, shut down your computer and then take out the Hard drive 1 from Computer 2 and put it back to Computer 1 as the only hard drive.
- Now boot your computer normally and check if the problem is fixed.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the 0xc000014C error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the 0xc000014C error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.