How to create a free public VPN Server on Windows 10
As you know, a Virtual Private Network or VPN is used to access a particular network from another network which is why it is also referred to as a mini-internet. Moreover, you can use it in two ways. One, you can use it to get you access to a closed server which means that you would not be getting access to the internet. Second, you can also use it to access a set of resources while at the same time get access to the internet. However, what if you want to access your resources at home even when you’re away? And what if you want to use the private server at home or at your office even when you’re away? This is where the callout for a VPN server for yourself comes in. And so in this post, you will be guided in how you can create a public VPN server on your Windows 10 computer. Follow each one of the given steps below to get started.
Step 1: Find your IP address.
This step is rather simple since all you have to do is open Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center. From there, click on “Local Area Connection” and then click on Details where you’ll see your IP address next to “Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address”.
Step 2: Next, set up port forwarding on your router.
In this step, you will have to configure port forwarding in your router so that you would be able to connect to the VPN server through a public network like the internet.
- Log in to the Admin Panel of your router. You have to do this since your router will be the gateway for your access to the network.
- After you’re logged in, look for the “Port Forwarding” or “Applications and Gaming” or “NAT/QoS” menu tab and other similar names.
- Now you need to set the port number to 1723 for connections based on Point to Point Tunneling Protocol.
- Then save the configuration and reboot your router.
Step 3: Set up a VPN server on Windows 10.
- In the Cortana search box, type “ncpa.cpl” and click on the related entry from the search results.
- After that, tap the Alt + F keys to bring down the File Menu and then select New Incoming Connection which will open a mini window where you can allow the user accounts on the particular machine to access the VPN connection.
- On the other hand, you can also click the “Add someone” button so that you can add someone else to the whitelist that can access the connection.
- Now click on Next and you’ll see an option to select how people will connect to the network. Check the checkbox for the “Through the Internet” option.
- After that, you will see a page where you have to configure the network. Just select IPv4 and then click on Properties.
- From there, you will be asked to continue some additional settings like letting users access your Local Area Network or how IP addresses will be allocated to these users. Click on OK to save the changes you’ve made.
- Click on Allow Access after you configure the network. And if you want to, you have the option to print this information for future reference or for the client machine.
- Now click on Close to exit the configuration process.
Step 4: Allow the VPN Connections through the firewall
In this step, you will have to allow the VPN connections through the firewall.
- In the Cortana search box, type “Allow an app through Windows Firewall” and click on the related search result to open the intended Windows Firewall settings.
- Next, click on Change Settings.
- Then scroll down to check if Routing and Remote Access is Enabled for both the Public and Private networks and click on OK.
Step 5: Set up a VPN connection on Windows 10
Now all that’s left for you to do is to set up a VPN connection on Windows 10.
- Go to Settings > Network and Internet.
- From the list of options given, click on VPN located on the left pane to see the related settings.
- After that, click on the “+” icon to add a VPN connection.
- Next, select Windows Default under VPN Provider and under the Connection Name, input your VPN’s name, and then enter the IP address you got from the VPN service provider under the Server name or address section.
- Now select PPTP under VPN type since it is the most commonly used protocol for VPNs.
Congratulations, you have just created a public VPN Server on Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you create a public VPN Server on Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.