Troubleshoot Runtime Error 5
Runtime Error 5 – What Is It?
Runtime Error 5 is one of those errors that Windows users encounter at least once in their life.
Generally, when Runtime Error 5 occurs, the message that appears says ‘Invalid Procedure Call or Argument’. Runtime Error 5 occurs because the Quality Analyst function that resides within the Operating System behaves in an abnormal manner and the user receives a warning.
As explained above, Runtime Error 5 is caused because of the unexplained behavior of the Quality Analyst function.
The problem occurs when the function is lost and is not mapped to any drive. As a result, Windows is unable to find and load it and displays the error message. Runtime Error 5 is also caused by other reasons listed below as follows.
- When files of programs like Visual Basic use bad entries in the registry.
- When a user attempts to load Internet Explorer and a global cash of browser occurs, this also causes Runtime Error 5.
Since these types of errors can easily be fixed, it is strongly advised that a user takes the necessary actions to keep them from occurring in the future.
Further Information and Manual Repair
Some instructions for users to fix Runtime Error 5 as soon as it appears are listed below as follows.
- Users are recommended to restart their computers. However, prior to doing so, it is advised that any programs that are opened are closed and work is saved to prevent data loss. Once the computer restarts, users should load the program that triggered Runtime Error 5 once again to determine whether or not the error recurs.
- If the problem persists, the best approach is to uninstall the program causing the error. This can be accomplished by going to the ‘Control Panel’ and selecting the ‘Add/Remove programs’ option if one is using Windows XP or Windows 95. However, if a user is running Windows 7, the same task can be accomplished in the ‘Program and Features’ option. If there’s an option that allows you to clear personal settings and preferences, the box should be checked.
- Now reinstall the program using the latest version of the installer to stop encountering this error. Use any patch for the program if available. Run installer while following the instructions on the screen. Check the default settings as well. It is suggested to instantly install any patches if available.
- Another piece of advice is to simultaneously press ‘Ctrl, Shift, and Esc’. Windows task manager will appear. Go to the “processes” tab and select a process that doesn’t look familiar to you. Note the filename and click on the ‘End Process’ button. Load the program again and find out if the error occurs. Once the program causing the error is identified, the user can perform the steps listed above to resolve the problem.