Fixing “Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation” Error in Windows 10
There are various complex tasks that take place under the hood while you upgrade or clean install the Windows operating system on a computer. Because of its complexity, there are times when you might encounter some errors when you upgrade or clean install Windows 10. One of the errors you could encounter is the error that states, “Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation”.
This error does not only occur in Windows 10 as it could also occur on the other versions of Windows. There are a lot of possible causes for this error. It could be due to incompatible BIOS, corrupted system files, improper installation media or it could also be due to excessive hardware plugged into your computer and so on. Whatever the cause is, here are some potential fixes you need to check out to fix the problem.
Option 1 – Try to disconnect or disable newly installed hardware
In this option, you will have to disable or remove the hardware you’ve just installed recently since external devices could be the one that’s causing the Blue Screen of Death error to appear. To do that, just disconnect any external device that’s connected to your computer physically and then check if it fixes the error.
Option 2 – Try to update the BIOS
As you know, the BIOS is a sensitive part of a computer. Even though it is a software component, the functioning of the hardware depends on it largely. Thus, you must be careful when modifying something in the BIOS. So if you don’t know much about it, it’s best if you skip on this option and try the other ones instead. However, if you are well-versed in navigating the BIOS, then follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “msinfo32” in the field and press Enter to open System Information.
- From there, you should find a search field on the bottom where you have to search for the BIOS version and then press Enter.
- After that, you should see the developer and version of the BIOS installed on your PC.
- Go to your manufacturer’s website and then download the latest version of BIOS on your computer.
- If you are using a laptop, make sure that you keep it plugged in until you have updated the BIOS.
- Now double click on the downloaded file and install the new BIOS version in your computer.
- Now restart your computer to apply the changes made.
Option 3 – Try to reconfigure all the created partitions
You could also try to reconfigure the partitions by deleting and recreating all the available partitions on your computer and then see if it fixes the problem.
Option 4 – Make a proper bootable USB Drive/Stick
To make a proper bootable USB drive, you need to use the Windows Media Creation tool. The Media Creation tool in Windows allows you to use the ISO installation file to make a bootable device that you can use to install Windows on your PC. Note that this is kind of different from the usual installation process as it could erase your computer’s current settings and data on the primary drive. Thus, before you proceed, you need to backup all your data into some removable drive and then use the Media Creation Tool to make a bootable drive.
- After making the bootable drive, you need to plug it into your computer and then reboot.
- Next, tap the F10 or Esc key to open the boot options.
- Now set the boot priority of the removable drive the highest. Once the setup comes forth, follow the next onscreen instructions and install Windows without any problems.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.