Fixing “This webpage was blocked by an extension (ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT)” Error in Windows 10
If you are browsing the web but suddenly encountered the ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT error on your Chrome browser in Windows 10, read on as this post will guide you in fixing this problem. This kind of error has already been reported by a number of Chrome users and it seems that the problem has something to do with a plugin or extension. Here’s the exact content of the error:
“This webpage was blocked by an extension (ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT)”
This kind of error, as pointed out, could be caused by an extension or plugin on Chrome that is blocking the web page. It is also possible that the version of Chrome is obsolete or that there could be more than 100 bookmarks in the Bookmark Manager. Before you troubleshoot the problem, make sure that you download the latest version of Google Chrome and see if it fixes the error. If it didn’t, then you can try opening a web page in Incognito Mode or disable and remove the extension that’s causing the problem. You could also try to remove any surplus bookmarks.
Option 1 – Try to open the web page in Incognito Mode
The first thing you can do to fix the problem is to try opening the web page in Incognito Mode. When your browser is in this mode, it will work without extensions. This would help in fixing the problem especially if it was caused by some extension or toolbar in your browser. All you have to do is open any web page in Chrome and tap the Ctrl + Shift + N key combination to open a window in Incognito Mode.
Option 2 – Try to disable and get rid of the problematic extension
After you’ve isolated the problem and have determined that an extension is the one that’s causing it, then the next thing you have to do is to disable or get rid of that extension.
- Open Chrome and press Alt + F keys.
- Go to More tools and click Extensions to look for any suspicious browser extensions or toolbars.
- Click the Recycle bin and select Remove.
- Restart Chrome and press Alt + F keys again.
- Proceed to On Startup and mark Open a specific page or set of pages.
- To check if the browser hijacker is still active, click Set pages, if it is active, overwrite the URL.
Note: If removing the browser extensions or toolbars didn’t work, you can also try to reset your Google Chrome browser.
- Open Google Chrome, then tap the Alt + F keys.
- After that, click on Settings.
- Next, scroll down until you see the Advanced option, once you see it, click on it.
- After clicking the Advanced option, go to the “Restore and clean up option and click on the “Restore settings to their original defaults” option to reset Google Chrome.
- Now restart Google Chrome.
Option 3 – Try removing surplus bookmarks
If your Chrome browser is already supporting more than 100 bookmarks, you might want to consider deleting them as it could also be one of the reasons why you’re getting the ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT error. To remove these bookmarks, just open the bookmark library by typing this address “chrome://bookmarks/” in the address bar of Chrome and tap Enter and press Shift and then select the surplus bookmarks by using the arrow keys. After that, click Delete to get rid of them.
Option 4 – Try clearing browser data
There are times when some data in the browser is conflicting with the loading of the website and triggers errors like ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT. And so you can try to clear your browser’s data. This might be a very basic solution but oftentimes it works in fixing this kind of error in Google Chrome. Follow the steps below to clear the data in your browser.
- Open your Google Chrome browser.
- After that, tap the Ctrl + H keys. Doing so will open a new panel that allows you to delete the browsing history and other data in your browser.
- Now select every checkbox that you see and click on the Clear browsing data button.
- Then restart your Chrome browser and check if you can now open any website or not.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the ERR_BLOCKED_BY_CLIENT error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.