Fixing “The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” Error in Windows 10
If you receive an error message that says, “Entry point not found, The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” on your Windows 10 PC, then you will find this post useful for this will provide you some potential fixes to fix the error.
This kind of error can occur if a program fails to locate the DLL library that it needs in order to run. It can also occur if the library is not in the specified directory in the path or if the DLL file has gone missing or has become corrupted.
To fix the “The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library” error, check out the following options given below.
Option 1 – Try to reinstall the program
The first thing you can do to resolve the error is to uninstall the program that throws the error and download its latest version from its official site and then install it again.
Option 2 – Run System File Checker scan
If reinstalling the program didn’t work, you can also try running the System File Checker or SFC scan to fix the error. System File Checker is a command utility built into your computer that helps restore corrupted files and missing files. Refer to the following steps to run it:
- Hit the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in cmd in the field and tap Enter.
- After opening Command Prompt, type in sfc /scannow
The command will start a system scan which will take a few whiles before it finishes. Once it’s done, you could get the following results:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Reboot your computer.
Option 3 – Try checking the details in the Event Viewer
The Event Viewer can also help you resolve the error as it contains detailed information about the error that could help you pinpoint its root cause and resolve it.
Option 4 – Try to re-register the problematic DLL file
You may have to re-register the ntdll.dll file using the regsvr32.exe before you can successfully install the program and fix the error. The Regsvr32 tool is a command-line utility that can be used to register and unregister OLE controls like DLL and ActiveX (OCX) controls in the Windows operating system. Follow the steps below to use it.
- Open Command Prompt as admin from the WinX menu.
- Next, type the following commands in the elevated Command Prompt and hit Enter to execute the command. This will re-register the affected DLL file using the Windows operating system tool, regsvr32.exe.
- exe /[DLL file]
- exe [DLL file]
Note: Replace “[DLL file]” with the name of the DLL file that was pointed out in the error.
- After you execute the given commands, you should see a message saying, “DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded” if the Regsvr32 tool was able to run successfully. After that, try to install the program again and see if it now works.
Option 5 – Try to replace the DLL file with a trusted source
- First, you need to get the new DLL file from another computer with preferably the same file version number.
- After that, you need to boot your PC into Safe Mode and navigate to the paths listed below and then replace the file using a USB drive or other external storage devices.
- x86: This PC > C:/Windows/System32
- x64: This PC > C:/Windows/SysWOW64
- Next, type “cmd” in the Cortana search box and right click on Command Prompt, and select “Run as administrator” to open it with administrator privileges.
- Now type the “regsvr32 ntdll.dll” command and hit Enter.
- Restart your PC and check if the error is now fixed.
Option 6– Try to scan your computer using Windows Defender
It is also possible that the DLL file might be infected with malware or virus which could explain why you’re getting the error. Thus, you have to scan your computer using security programs like Windows Defender.
- Tap the Win + I keys to open Update & Security.
- Then click on the Windows Security option and open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Next, click on Virus & threat protection > Run a new advanced scan.
- Now make sure that Full Scan is selected from the menu and then click the Scan Now button to get started.
Congratulations, you have just fixed The procedure entry point could not be located error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix The procedure entry point could not be located error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.