Fixing the Port in use, please wait – Printer Error in Windows 10
Recently, a number of Windows 10 users reported an issue wherein they try to print from their PCs but were unable to and got an error message instead that states, “Port in use, please wait”. However, no matter how long they waited, nothing changed and they were still unable to print from their computers.
On the other hand, when some of the users attempted to print wirelessly from their mobile devices, the printing continues which indicates that there is some issue between the computer and the printer. So if you are one of the users who are currently facing this problem, then this post should help.
To fix this issue with your Printer, here are some possible fixes you can try that might work.
Option 1 – Run the Printer Troubleshooter
The first thing you can do to fix the “Port in use, please wait” error is to run the Printer Troubleshooter. This built-in troubleshooter in Windows 10 can help you fix most print issues. It checks if you have the latest printer drivers and then tries to fix and update them automatically. Aside from that, it also checks if you have connectivity issues or if the Print Spooler and the required Services are running fine. To run it, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “msdt.exe /id PrinterDiagnostic” in the field and click OK or hit Enter to open the Printer Troubleshooter.
- Then click the Next button and follow the next on-screen instructions to fix the issue with the printer.
Option 2 – Try updating the Printer drivers
You might also want to try updating your printer drivers. All you have to do is locate the USB Composite Device. For complete details, follow the steps below.
- First, click the Start button and type “device manager”.
- Then click on the “Device Manager” from the search results to open it.
- From there, look for the USB Composite Device option and right-click on it, and select the Update Driver from the options.
- Restart your PC and then click the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
Note: You also have the option to download the latest version of your Printer from the manufacturer’s website.
Option 3 – Try selecting the correct port for your Printer
If the first two options given above didn’t work, then maybe it’s time to select a correct port for your printer since the wrong port has been selected which is why you’re getting the “Port in use, please wait” error.
- Open “Devices and Printers” from the Start search.
- Next, look for your printer from the list of devices and right-click on it, and then select Printer Properties.
- Now go to the Ports tab under the newly opened Properties window and make sure that the port type matches the connection on the list of ports currently in use.
Note: If your printer is using a USB connection then the port should have a USB or DOT 4 in its description but if your printer is using a network connection then it should have the following description:
And if you notice that there are several listings for the same type of port, you have to change the selection to a different one and then click the OK button to save the changes made.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Fixing the Port in use, please wait error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Fixing the Port in use, please wait error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.