Fixing Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working Error in Windows 10
The Windows 10 operating system supports the logging in of multiple users at the same time. Aside from that, it also allows administrators to create a Guest Account that has limited rights. However, there are some instances when you could encounter an error when you use the Guest Account.
The error may state:
“Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program”.
This error indicates that the Shell Infrastructure Host or SiHost.exe process that is used for handling graphical elements, has crashed. And to fix this error, there are several options you can check out. You can try to reinstall the Microsoft Redistributable Packages or run a System File Checker scan. In addition, you can also use a new Guest Account or troubleshoot the problem in a Clean Boot State.
Option 1 – Try to install or repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2013
A corrupted Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package or the absence of it can trigger the “Shell Infrastructure Host has stopped working” error – so if you do not have this package yet, you have to install it but if you already have it, follow the steps below to repair it.
- Open Control Panel and proceed to Program and Features.
- Under Programs and Features, look for Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package among the list.
- Then right-click on it and click the Change button.
- Next, you should see the Repair option – click on it to repair the installation of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package.
- The process may take a couple of minutes before it finishes so once it does, you have to restart your PC.
After doing all these steps and you still encounter the problem, you might have to uninstall this package and download it directly from Microsoft’s website. However, if you are using Windows 10, you might not be able to do so since it only supports Windows versions up to Windows 8.1 so just proceed to the next option below.
Option 2 – Try to run a System File Checker scan
- In the Windows Start Search, type “command prompt” and right-click on Command Prompt from the search results, and then select the “Run as administrator” option.
- After opening Command Prompt with admin privileges, type the “sfc /scannow” and tap Enter to execute it.
- Once the scan is finished, restart your computer and see if the Windows Script Host error.
Option 3 – Try using a new Guest Account
You might want to use a new Guest Account as it could help get rid of the error. All you have to do is have your admin delete the old Guest Account and create a new one and see if it helps in fixing the error.
Option 4 – Try troubleshooting the problem in a Clean Boot State
Setting your computer in a Clean Boot State can help you diagnose and later troubleshoot the problems in your computer. During this state, the system will start with a minimal number of drivers and startup programs that help in isolating the problem with the interfering software. To put your computer in a Clean Boot State, follow the given steps below.
- Log onto your computer as an administrator.
- Type in MSConfig in the Start Search to open the System Configuration utility.
- From there, go to the General tab and click “Selective startup”.
- Clear the “Load Startup items” check box and make sure that the “Load System Services” and “Use Original boot configuration” options are checked.
- Next, click the Services tab and select the “Hide All Microsoft Services” check box.
- Click Disable all.
- Click on Apply/OK and restart your PC. (This will put your PC into a Clean Boot State. And configure Windows to use the usual startup, just simply undo the changes.)
- From there, start to isolate the problem by checking which one of the programs you installed recently is the root cause of the problem.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Shell Infrastructure Host stopped working error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Shell Infrastructure Host stopped working error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.