Fixing No usable free extent could be found Error when running DISKPART in Windows 10
One of the most useful and efficient command-line disk management tools is the DISKPART utility. It can be used to manage, delete or create new hard drive partitions. However, despite its efficiency, there are still times it could face some errors like the “No usable free extent could be found”. You can encounter this error when you create a partition. This error could be due to insufficient disk space which is why it is not able to carry out the operation. It is also possible that the disk is not recognized by the system. And since there are only four recognized primary partitions, when you try creating a fifth one, you will get this error. In addition, this error could also occur if the disk has been partitioned using the MBR disk partitioning format.
To fix the “No usable free extent could be found” error, here are some suggestions you can follow.
Option 1 – Free up disk space using Storage Sense
The error could be caused by insufficient disk space in your computer and so you need to free up disk space using Storage Sense to fix the problem.
- Open Setting > System > Storage from the WinX Menu.
- From there, you will see a list of all the local and connected storage devices along with the details on the free space. Make sure that Storage Sense is on.
- Next, find a link that says “Free Up Space” and click it to open.
- After that, a screen which is the built-in program in Windows 10 will appear and will scan your computer for the following junk files so you can free up disk space:
- Windows Upgrade Log Files
- The system created Windows Error Reporting Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Previous Windows Installation Files
- Delivery Optimisation Files
- DirectX Shader Cache
- Choose the files you want to get rid of and then click on the remove files option. Note that you’ll have an idea of the total size as you select any of the junk files listed above.
- Now go to the “Free Up Space Now” section and click the Clear Now button. This will get rid of all the temporary or junk files in your computer and should hopefully fix Error 1310.
Note: You can also run the Disk Cleanup tool to free up disk space.
Option 2 – Try to run DISKPART in Command Prompt with administrator permissions
The next thing you can do to resolve the error is to run the DISKPART utility with admin privileges.
- In the Start Search, type “command prompt” and from the search results that appear, look for Command Prompt.
- Once you found it, right-click on it and select the “Run as administrator” option.
- After that, try to execute the Diskpart operation once again. Note that you also have to specify different size & offset values for the partitioning and then see if you still encounter the same error.
Option 3 – Try to execute the DISKPART clean command
The next thing you can try is to execute the clean command in DISKPART to fix any issues in the disk.
- Open Command Prompt with admin privileges.
- Then execute this command: diskpart
- The command you entered will initiate the DISKPART utility. Now execute this second command to view all the disk connects or all the partitions on those disks formed: list disk
- After that, you need to select one command depending on the list command you executed and then execute this third command: select disk #
- The third command you just executed will select the disk or partition you want to select. Now execute this fourth command: clean
- The command you entered will remove all the volumes or partitions formatting the disk in focus.
- Once it’s done, try to carry out the DISKPART operation you were trying to execute.
Option 4 – Try to update the USB drivers
Outdated USB drivers can also be the reason why you’re getting the error. Thus, you must update them from time to time. You can install the latest version of the USB driver for your system. But you need to check the manufacturer’s website or guidelines to update the driver according to your system. If it happens that the drivers might not be compatible with the version of the system your laptop is using which is unlikely, you can run the driver software in Compatibility Mode in that kind of situation. To update your USB drivers, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch Run.
- Type in devmgmt.msc into the box and tap Enter or click OK to open the Device Manager.
- After that, look for the USB Serial Bus controllers from the list of device drivers displayed. If you see a red or yellow sign that shows up against the driver, right-click on the driver’s name and select “Update Driver Software”. And if you find any “Unknown device”, you need to update it as well.
- Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option and then follow the instructions to complete the process.
Option 5 – Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter or the USB troubleshooter
You can find the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter under the Troubleshooters section of the Windows Settings panel on your Windows 10 PC. You can use this troubleshooter to fix common hardware and external device-related issues without exerting too much effort. If you don’t know where to find it, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + I keys to open the Windows Settings.
- Next, navigate to Update & Security > Troubleshoot.
- You should see the option for Hardware and Devices on your right-hand side where you can also find the “Rub the troubleshooter” button – click on it to get started.
- Follow the next on-screen instructions to fix the basic issues of common hardware and external device.
Note: If you want to, you can also use the USB Troubleshooter to fix the problem just go back to the Troubleshoot page where you can find it.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the No usable free extent could be found error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the No usable free extent could be found error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.