How to Fix Error Code 0xC004C020
Error Code 0xC004C020 (Code 0xC004C020) – What is it?
Error code 0xC004C020 (Code 0xC004C020) is an error that occurs when you attempt to activate a copy of Windows 7 with a key, but the key has already been activated multiple times. When receiving this error code, it means that you are trying to exceed the number of times that the Windows 7 key is allowed to be activated.
Common symptoms include:
- Attempting to install Windows 7 with a key and a dialog box with the code 0xC004C020 is displayed.
- The computer is unable to install Windows 7 with the key.
- Certain features will refrain from working until the correct key has been entered.
Error Code 0xC004C020 occurs when you are not able to install Windows 7 using a previously purchased key code that has been installed numerous times previously on the same computer.
- You are not able to use your previously used key to install Windows 7.
- You have used the Windows 7 key the maximum number of times allowed.
Error code 0xC004C020 simply means that the Windows 7 code that you are trying to use to install Windows 7 has already been used the maximum number of times allowed, even when installing it on the same computer that it was previously used on. This would indicate that the key is what is known as a volume key- meaning that there is a cap on the number of uses.
Further Information and Manual Repair
Many people encounter this problem when they are doing software development or testing and need to reinstall Windows 7. Some people might also encounter this error code when installing Windows 7 with a key that was used too many times previously. It should be noted that there are several ways to fix this problem, but if nothing is working, you should contact a computer repair technician.
Activate by phone- the long method.
- Click the start button, right-click Computer, click Properties, and then click Activate Windows. This will open Windows Activation.
- Click on “Show me other ways to activate”.
- Find and enter the Windows 7 key, then click Next.
- Click on “Use the automated phone system”. If you are prompted for an administrator password or a confirmation, confirm or type the password now.
- Select the location nearest to you and then click the Next button.
- There will be a list of available phone numbers, choose one and call it. There will be an automated system that will guide the activation process.
- Enter the installation ID when prompted, it will be listed on your computer screen.
- The phone system will give you a confirmation ID, write this down.
- Type this confirmation ID into the space that is provided by step 3. This will be in the activation dialogue. Then, click NEXT and follow the instruction.
- If this is not successful, stay on the line and be transferred to a customer service representative that will assist you.
Activate by phone- this is a much simpler method.
- Click on Start, type: slui.exe 4 into the Search box
- Press Enter on the keyboard.
- Pick your country.
- Choose the Phone Activation option; stay on hold to speak with a customer service representative.
Error code 0xC004C020 occurs if you have used your Windows 7 activation key on multiple computers, or multiple times on the same computer. You are not allowed to exceed the uses of the key—you should consider purchasing a new key if this is the case. A Windows 7 key is available for purchase online through the Microsoft website, in the shop section. The new product key must then be activated within 30 days, or it becomes no longer valid. It can be activated online or through the telephone.
If it is not activated on time, features will stop working until the new key has been activated. This should be the last resort method, as you should not have to purchase a new Windows 7 key code if it is not necessary. If you wish to always have at your disposal a utility tool to fix these Windows 10 and other related issues when they do arise, download and install a powerful automated tool.