Repair Error 118
Error 118 – What is it?
Error 118 is a typical Google Chrome error. It pops up when Google Chrome fails to load websites like Facebook. It is usually displayed in the following format:
‘Error Message: Error 118 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.’
Error 118 may be triggered due to several reasons. This includes:
- Problems with DNS setting
- IP Address is filtering websites
- Cookies and invalid registry entries
Further Information and Manual Repair
To ensure smooth internet browsing on Google Chrome, it is advisable to repair the error 118. If error 118 is not resolved you will be unable to load and access your desired websites.
To avoid inconvenience and resolve the issue immediately, try the methods suggested below. These are easy and effective do-it-yourself methods that require no technical skills.
Method 1 – Change Proxy Settings
If your IP address is filtering websites, then you might experience error 118 while using Google Chrome. When this is the error cause, then it is advisable to add a proxy for your PC.
To change proxy settings and add a new proxy, simply click on Customize and Control Google Chrome menu. Now click the options button. Under the Google Chrome Options window select the Under the Hood tab.
After that in the Network, section click the change proxy settings button.
Check Show Suggestions for navigation errors and Use DNS pre-fetching to improve page load performance boxes. Now under Internet Properties, click LAN Settings.
Under LAN settings you will see the Proxy Server box, check it, and enter your new proxy settings. Click OK to confirm and save settings. This will hopefully resolve the issue.
Method 2 – Change to Google DNS
When the error is related to DNS settings then try this method to resolve it. Simply set DNS to use Google DNS. Here’s how it’s done:
- Go to the start menu, click Windows Control Panel, Network and Internet, and change adapter settings. Here you will see Local Area Connection.
- Right click to select properties at the bottom.
- Check Internet Protocol Version 4 and click properties.
- Now check the ‘Obtain an IP address automatically’ box and also select the option that says ‘Use the following DNS server addresses’.
- Change Preferred DNS to 126.96.36.199 and Alternate DNS server to 188.8.131.52 now click OK to confirm.
Method 3 – Remove the Bad Entries and Cookies Damaging the Registry
Bad entries and cookies saved in the registry can also trigger error 118.
To fix the issue immediately download Restoro. This is PC Fixer with multiple utilities including a registry cleaner. The registry cleaner removes all bad entries and cookies in seconds and repairs the damaged registry.
Click here to download Restoro and resolve error 118.