Fix “An error occurred while checking for updates” in VLC on Windows 10
There is no doubt that the VLC media player is one of the best kinds of media players available today. However, it is not without any issues and one of the common issues encountered by users is VLC’s inability to be updated. And when you try to update VLC, you only get an error message saying, “An error occurred while checking for updates”.
This inability to update VLC can be quite a headache for many users especially the ones who are facing other issues in VLC and has to update it in order to resolve them. So how will you update VLC and fix its issues when you can’t even update it in the first place? Worry not as this post will help you out. Refer to the suggestions laid out below to resolve the issue in updating VLC.
Option 1 – Check if VLC is not being blocked by the Firewall
There are instances when the Firewall like the Windows Defender Firewall blocks VLC for some unknown reason without your knowledge. Thus, you need to allow VLC to get past the Firewall in order for you to fix the issue else you won’t be able to send out a network communication. To do that, follow the steps below.
- Tap the Windows key + I to open the Settings app.
- Then click on the Update & Security option.
- After that, click on Windows Security and click the Open Windows Defender Security Center option. This will open the Windows Defender antivirus and antimalware program.
- From there, click on Firewall & network protection.
- Next, click on Allow an app through Firewall. You should see a list of programs. Scroll down until you see VLC and make sure that all the boxes are ticked including the Public and Private ones.
- Once you’re done, restart your PC and then try updating VLC again.
- Just open VLC and select the Help menu and click on Check for Updates.
Option 2 – Try running the VLC media player as an administrator
There are programs designed for Windows 10 that won’t work fully unless some parameters are met. In most cases, starting the program as an admin should resolve the problem, thus, that’s what you have to do to try and fix the “An error occurred while checking for updates” in VLC.
- First, right-click on the VLC Media Player desktop icon and then select the “Run as administrator” option or you could also right-click on the icon and click on Properties.
- After that, click the Compatibility tab and then tick the box labeled “Run this program as an administrator”.
- Next, click the OK button and then open VLC again and try updating it. That should fix the problem.
Congratulations, you have just fixed the Error occurred while checking for updates in VLC error in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you fix the Error occurred while checking for updates in VLC error in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them. This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.