Connecting a Wireless Printer to a Windows 10 PC
Although it’s easy to set up wired printers in most cases and they have their charm, you don’t have to be around the printer if you are connected to the same network. So in this post, you will be guided on how you can install and set up a wireless printer on your Windows 10 computer.
The idea here is to ensure that your Wi-Fi printer and your Windows 10 computer are connected on the same network and to do that, you need to carry out the following steps:
- You have to connect the printer to the Wi-Fi network.
- You have to add the printer or scanner to Windows 10.
- You have to install the printer software.
- You have to change the default printer.
- And troubleshoot the printer.
For more details, follow the instructions below.
Step 1: Connect your printer to the Wi-Fi network.
In this step, you need to turn on your printer and look for the option to connect to a Wi-Fi network. Note that the step to connect to the Wi-Fi network depends on what kind of printer you use as well as its OEM since there will be a user interface or a Wi-Fi button that will get the job done for you. Once your printer is connected to the Wi-Fi network, you need to keep it turned on until the setup is completed.
Step 2: Next, add a printer or scanner to Windows 10
- Since you’re already connected to the Wi-Fi network, you now have to go to Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners.
- From there, click on the Add a printer or scanner option.
- After that, the scanning process will begin as Windows 10 looks for the printer and once it finds it, it will display the printer in the result.
- Choose the Wi-Fi printer from the results and click on the Add device option. Once you click this option, Windows will install the drivers via Windows 10 update. Note that this process will apply to all the printers – connected, wireless, and so on.
Step 3: You have to install a printer software
In this step, you need to use the driver software from the OEM even though the default printer software works since in most cases, the driver software from OEM works better compared to the default ones and offers much better functionality like ink-saving modes, and many more.
Step 4: You now have to change the default printer
After installing the printer software, you now have to set or change the default printer in your computer. If you have not installed any printer, the default printer in Windows is the one that saves the files. Now since you have already installed your printer, all that’s left for you to do is to change the default printer of Windows 10 to the one you installed earlier. To do that, follow these sub-steps:
- Go to Settings and navigate to Devices > Printers & scanners.
- From there, check the checkbox labeled, “Let Windows manage my default printer” if there are many printers. This will recommend you to use the most used printer. But if you don’t want to switch to the most used printer, then uncheck the checkbox.
- Once done, click on the printer you want to set as the default one and go to Manage, and then click on the Set as default button.
Step 5: If you have any issues with your newly installed printer, then you need to troubleshoot it
One of the first basic troubleshooting you can perform to resolve the printer issue is running the Printer Troubleshooter. This built-in troubleshooter can detect and automatically fix the problem for you. To use it, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, type “exe /id PrinterDiagnostic” in the field and click OK or hit Enter to open the Printer Troubleshooter.
- Then click the Next button and follow the next on-screen instructions to fix the issue with the printer.
Congratulations, you have just Connected a Wireless Printer in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you Connect a Wireless Printer in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.