Changing the Screensaver Timeout Settings in Windows 10
One of the cool and interesting features in Windows is the Screensaver which allows users to display animation or change the wallpaper automatically when the computer is not being used. This feature can also time out and lock your computer when it remains idle for quite some time. However, if you notice that the screensaver of your computer turns on a lot earlier, then you’ve come to the right place as this post will guide you on how you can change the timeout settings of the screensaver of your Windows 10 computer.
Usually, the screensaver in Windows 10 is turned off by default, however, if some other user has turned it on or if you have turned it on, you can actually change the timeout settings of the screensaver using several methods. You can do it through the Personalization settings, Registry Editor, as well as the Group Policy Editor.
Before you proceed with the instructions provided below, make sure that you create a System Restore point first. Once done, follow each one of the suggestions carefully to successfully change the Screensaver timeout settings in Windows 10.
Option 1 – Modify the timeout settings of Screensaver via Personalization settings
- Open the Start menu and type “screen saver” in the field.
- On the search results that appear, click on the “Change Screen Saver” option.
- From there, you have the option to change the screen saver type, preview, open settings, change the wait time, as well as choose to display lock screen on your resume.
- Now to change the timeout settings of your screensaver, you have to increase the wait time from 1 to 15 or anything that works for you.
- Once done, click OK and exit to save the changes made.
Option 2 – Try to change the screensaver time via Registry Editor
The next option you can try to change the timeout settings in the screensaver is using the Registry Editor. To get started, follow these steps:
- Tap the Win + R keys to launch the Run utility and type “regedit” in the field and hit Enter to open the Registry Editor.
- Next, navigate to this registry path: ComputerHKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwarePoliciesMicrosoftWindows
- From there, right-click on Windows located in the right pane and select New > Key.
- Name the key as “Control Panel” and right-click on it and select New > Key and then name it as “Desktop”.
- Once done, click on the newly created Desktop key to highlight it.
- After that, right-click on any empty space in the right pane and select New > String Value and then type “ScreenSaveTimeOut” and hit Enter to save it.
- Now right-click on ScreenSaveTimeOut and select Modify and then set its value data in seconds.
- Click on OK and exit the Registry Editor to save the changes made.
Option 3 – Change Screensaver timeout settings via Group Policy Editor
- Tap the Win + R keys to open the Run dialog box and type “gpedit.msc” in the field and hit Enter to open the Group Policy Editor.
- Next, navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization.
- Then look for a policy setting named “Screen saver timeout” and double click on it and then click on the Enabled option to enable it.
- Add the screen timeout in seconds and click on the Apply and OK buttons to save the changes.
- Restart your computer.
Note: If you want to disable the screensaver feature in your computer, you can always do so by disabling a policy setting named “Enable Screen Saver”.
Congratulations, you have just Changed the Screensaver Timeout Settings in Windows 10 all by yourself. If you would like to read more helpful articles and tips about various software and hardware visit errortools.com daily.
Now that’s how you Change the Screensaver Timeout Settings in Windows 10 on a computer. On the other hand, if your computer is going through some system-related issues that have to get fixed, there is a one-click solution known as Restoro you could check out to resolve them.
This program is a useful tool that could repair corrupted registries and optimize your PC’s overall performance. Aside from that, it also cleans out your computer for any junk or corrupted files that help you eliminate any unwanted files from your system. This is basically a solution that’s within your grasp with just a click. It’s easy to use as it is user-friendly. For a complete set of instructions in downloading and using it, refer to the steps below
Perform a full system scan using Restoro. To do so, follow the instructions below.